Lost Kin

The man walked toward me slowly. Tears were swelled in his eyes. Mark stood up as he walked closer.

"Zack?" The words mumbled out of my mouth as slowly stood up.

"Autumn?" His deep shaky voice hung through the air. I stood there confused and happy at the same time.

"I can't believe you found me bubba." Mark whipped around to me as I said the last word.

"Bubba?" Mark's voice cracked as he looked towards me. I walked up closer to him and gave him a hug.

"I-I thought you hated me." I started crying into Zack's shirt. He gave me a big hug and smiled. We both stood there hugging, then Mark tapped my shoulder.

"Who's this?" He looked up at him as Zack towered over us.

"This is my r-real brother." I was shocked to even say the words. Zack was born 11 years before I was, he lived with my parents until they left. He wasn't left with my Aunt... He survived on his own at a homeless shelter. He stayed there until he was old enough to go to college. But I don't know the story after that...

"WOAH! T-THATS ZACK CLYDE! The famous NFL player!" Someone across the room yelled as they stood up.

"That's me." He chuckled as the screaming fan ran over.

"Real brother, why didn't you tell me?" Mark's voice was now shaky and he reached out to my shoulder.

"Because I didn't know much about him." I shrugged my shoulders as I looked down at the floor.

"How did he know about you then?" Mark looked up to Zack as he got finished signing the papers. I was scared to answer as tears filled my eyes. The guys at the table soon left. They told us all goodbye. Zack looked at Mark and answered his question for me.

"It's all over the internet." He chuckled and grabbed my shoulder. I laughed as he squeezed it playfully.

"Well we knew that." My heart pumped faster as I looked up at Mark's confused eyes. They showed no emotion as he didn't care about us.

"You can take her back if you want, I bet she'd rather be with her real family." Mark didn't smile and looked down at me. His cold words filled my body, and I started to tear up.

"How could you say that?" The words mumbled and cracked. He made me cry as I backed away from him.

"Autumn, no don't take it that way." He held out a hand to me. I loved Mark, but he didn't love me apparently. Zack stood there and gave Mark a fierce look.

"I thought y-you actually cared about me." I backed up against the wall and my eyes were now cold. No emotion filled my face.

"I do care about you, I'm just busy ok?" He came closer to me and Zack stopped him in his tracks.

"That's enough." He put a hand on Marks chest. I walked out of the shop and started screaming outside.

"NO ONE CARES IN THIS STUPID CITY!" My words echoed through out the buildings here and there. Zack came outside, followed by Mark. Mark approached me and Zack stopped him again.

"I said that's enough!" He pushed Mark out of the way and Zack hopped into the car. I stared back at Mark. He had a strait face at me. I mouthed the words;

"Just stay away." I started crying and hopped into Zack's car. Mark was left on a bench as we drove away. I still cared about him, but he didn't care about me.

"He doesn't care." I mumbled while looking out the window staring at the shop.

"Apparently not." Zack sniffled and looked around.

"You smell like donuts." He slightly smiled and looked toward my direction.

"Hello..." I pointed my thumb back toward the shop. He shook his head and grumbled.

"So where are we going?" I looked at the floor and played with my shirt.

"My apartment downtown." His fists turned white on the wheel as he stopped at the stoplight.

"Where have you been?" I tilted my head sideways as he pressed on the gas.

"College and playing football, I heard that band talking on the radio. The man introduced your name... And it all went from there." He shrugged his shoulders. My mind went blank as we passed the mural. The blue girls head draping down joyed me. It was the one thing I had left of Mark.

"Oh, so you're a pro?" I turned and slightly smiled as he he did.

"Yea, it's pretty cool." We both smiled as he pulled into a tall buildings parking lot. It was a lot bigger than Mark's. As I hopped out I saw a car pass by, it was Mark's. I shook my head and walked beside Zack as we walked into the dim lobby. A small fountain greeted us in the lobby. It was fancy. Zack guided me into the tan and black elevator. As we walked in it brought depression inside me.

"Why so sad? He didn't care like you said." Zack shrugged his shoulders and put a hand on my shoulder.

"But we had something. He wouldn't pick me up off the streets like that." I sighed deeply and teared up.

"Sis, he didn't act like he cared. He practically gave you to me!" Zack raised his voice through out the empty elevator. My legs felt limp as I sat down.

"I-I'm sorry." He reached down and touched my shoulder. Deep breaths left my mouth as I sat there. Even my own family couldn't cheer me.

"It's ok, I just don't know what to think. I really loved Mark." I frowned and stood up when the elevator doors opened. We both walked out of the doors and down the hallway to his door. It was a black and the walls were white. They turned into a tan color from how long the building has been there. He unlocked the door and I walked inside. It was white and black like the halls. My heart ached as I walked in. Only have I known him for about a week. We had something. Mark, I repeat again, wouldn't pick someone like me off the streets. That thought kept blowing through my mind.

"He just... Well I don't know. Had that feeling, then disappeared as he got used to you. I don't know what to do in this situation Autumn." He came over to me and rubbed my back. The TV turned on as he walked over to the living room. He was watching Sports center... Of course he was on TV.

"Y-you must be pretty famous." My words spat out of my mouth as I watched some of his plays.

"I'm an OK linebacker." He smiled and winked at me. I slightly smiled back.

"That's cool." My voice cracked as he changed the channel to the news. It was us. As I saw Marks shocked face it made me tear up. He shouldn't of gone through this. I was a terror to his fame. The only good thing about me was when I cuddled with him on the couch. That made me happy, and warm.

I don't know if he missed that as much as I did. But I sure missed it. The thoughts spun through my mind. When we went shopping, when we changed that tire, the beach most of all. The interview was fun to be at. But then that all came together.

I might never do that again.