Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Prince's POV:

When Vera had suddenly left for the weekend, I tried my best to not think about her too much and instead attempted to keep myself as busy as I could. Granted, that proved to be a bit difficult seeing as I couldn't stop thinking about Vera, but I did what I could, especially with the knowledge that she left because of what had transpired between us. Keeping myself busy happened to be get some shopping done, whether it be for personal items or grocery shopping, some touristy sight-seeing, as well as going to some pubs around the city in the late of night when the only people there were already drunk. All of these outings were accompanied by Dave, of course, who had proven to be a trusting companion.

By the time the weekend was over, I had realized what Gemma once told me was true—retail therapy is actually able to lift your spirits. And it better, seeing as I dropped a pretty penny on many of the high-end stores residing on the Upper East Side.

It served me well, however, because I was able to keep my mind off of Vera for the length of the weekend. To say I wasn't nervous as to what her decision was would be a lie, but at the same time, it's completely up to her and ultimately, I believe I'd be fine with whatever she decided. Whether it was to be in her life as her friend or as something more, both were far better than not being in her life at all. Vera was an amazing woman and friend, and I truly did think anyone would be lucky to know her, so I would take whatever I was given.

Monday morning was spent at the gym in the apartment building for a good two hours, before enjoying a cold shower and then making myself some lunch that consisted of some good old fashioned spaghetti. By the time it was the evening, I was neck deep in episodes of House of Cards and full of chocolate ice cream when a text from a certain someone had me sitting up.

From: Vera Queen

Hey you home?

My heart may or may not have skipped a beat as I hastily texted her back.

To: Vera Queen

Hi yes I am.

--

From: Vera Queen

Can I come down?

--

To: Vera Queen

Of course.

Once I sent that text, it showed the Vera read it immediately although she didn't respond. Licking my lips, I stood up and put away the spoon and tub of ice cream I had been eating out of, returning to the living room with a sudden wave of nerves washing over me. Vera and I hadn't seen each other since our conversation on Thursday, only exchanging a few texts when she let me know she was in New Jersey visiting family for the weekend. It felt nerve wracking to know that Vera was coming over, because I couldn't help but think. . . Had she made a decision? Was she coming to tell me that she wanted to pursue something with me, or to tell me that she preferred us staying friends?

The last thing I was going to do was put any type of pressure on Vera, because ultimately it was all up to her. At the end of the day, I would be fine with whatever she decided, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious to know what exactly she wanted to do.

Not to mention kissing her just once was not nearly enough.

Soon enough, knocks sounded on the wooden door and I paused the show before quickly making my way over, almost slipping due to the fact I was wearing socks and the floor was sleek wood. Reaching the door, I grabbed the handle with my right hand and used my left to push back my hair before opening the door, revealing the pretty lady standing on the other side.