Chapter 22

so my dumbass fell really hard this morning and ended up spraining my ankle really badly. like, i fell right in public on the ground and so many people ran over to see if i was okay and then we had to call an ambulance because my ankle was so swollen. now i have to use crutches and be on bed rest. fun times.

________________________________________________

Chapter 22

City Girl's POV:

Waking up the sound of my cell phone piercingly ringing in my ear was less than pleasant, eyes opening reluctantly and brows furrowing in annoyance as I lifted my head from the pillow to reach over and grab the insulting device. Not having to go into the office meant I could sleep in and get started on my work at my own leisure, but how was I to do that when someone was calling me at eight-thirty in the damn morning?

Cheek returning to my pillow, I forcefully pulled my phone out of its charging wire and glanced at the screen, squinting my eyes as my older brother's name and picture on the phone became less blurry. Answering the call, I irritatingly stated, "This better be an emergency."

"It is," Xavier responded immediately. "Felicity's school apparently has a teacher workshop day today and Gina and I completely forgot about it. Gina's at work and Mom and I need to head off soon too and the babysitter isn't available so I was wondering if you could please watch your niece for the day?"

My brother had been speaking so quickly and practically strung all his words together that I could barely understand what he was saying, blinking in confusion as my sleepiness slowly began wearing off, although the need to stay in my comfortable bed was so strong. Phone still pressed to my ear, I let out a tired sigh and replied, "Sure, alright. Are you gonna drop her off?"

"Thanks, sis," Xavier said, relief clear in his tone. "And no, Mom will. She's meeting up with a client in the city so she'll drop Felicity at your place in, like, an hour."

Huffing, I sat up, my blanket pooling around my hips as I held my phone to my ear and muttered, "You woke me up at the ass-crack of dawn. You owe me, Xavier."

He snorted, amused. "It's eight-thirty, Vera. Don't you wake up earlier for work?"

Rolling my eyes, I stood up from the bed, shivering slightly as my bare feet touched the hardwood floor. "Not when I have the option to sleep in," I grumbled back, picking up my glasses and putting them on as Xavier laughed. He then thanked me again before saying he needed to get Felicity ready, and I hung up the phone before stalking to the bathroom to get ready for the day.

Walking out of the bathroom, I changed into black leggings and a grey Calvin Klein shirt, putting in my contacts before heading into the kitchen to make some breakfast—which consisted of some tea and a chocolate fudge pop-tart. With my hot mug in my hand, I walked into the guest room down the hall, setting my mug on the bedside and opening up the closet to pull out some of Felicity's toys that I kept here for whenever she'd come over. It was a little trunk full of her stuffed animals, some dolls, a few coloring books and pencils that would keep her occupied for a few hours, more or less.

While I waited, I put my empty mug in the sink and heartily fell on to the couch, switching the television on and skipping through channels before landing on Scooby-Doo, of course. Early weekday mornings meant old cartoons being played, so I settled on that while waiting for Mama and Felicity to arrive. And like Xavier had said, a knock sounded on my door about an hour later and I opened it to reveal the two of them; Mama dressed in her business attire and Felicity in dark purple leggings and a black shirt that says J'Adore.