Chapter Four: Trying To Keep Him Warm, Trying To Keep All the Cold Part 2

Footsteps followed behind me, as I continued to turn around cautiously, only to see no one behind me, only to see the shadowy darkness creeping by.

     I dashed up the stairs, the swirl of pitch black surrounding me, as I held my breath.

I reached my apartment door, panting, as I struggled to find my keys in my thrifted purse.

My neighbor from across the hall, cranky Mr. Bernard crowed, sticking his egg-shaped head out of his door, "Can't you be quiet for once in your life?"

"Good night to you too, Mr. Bernard!" I smiled fakely, as he scowled, his birdlike body going back into his house.

I opened my door, exclaiming, "Baby dragon, Mommy's home!"

     Elliot ran out of the living room with my next-door neighbor's teenage daughter, Julia, hand in hand.

     "Mommy!" Elliot hollered, hurrying up to me.

I hugged my baby boy tightly, gosh I missed him.

Julia grinned at me, as I remembered that I had forgotten to ask for my pay early so I could give Julia the money she deserved for babysitting Elliot this week.

"Julia dear," I began, stress clear in my voice. I wish I had cash right now, but I didn't. I only had the ten dollars for the barbecue dinner I ordered.

     "I...I don't have the money for this week right now. Don't worry, you're still getting paid, but I don't have it in my hand right now. I'm sorry," I apologized.

     "No, it's fine, Ms. Lewis. I don't need any money," Julia responded sweetly, as I shook my head.

     "No dear, when I get my pay next Tuesday, I will give you the money you deserve for babysitting for the eight hours each day you spend here instead of your own household," I insisted, as Julia simply nodded, understanding that I was serious.

Julia waved at Elliot and I, leaving to go back to her own home.

I smiled at Elliot, who pouted in a cute manner (who was I kidding, everything he did was cute), "When'th the barbecue delivery man coming?"

I giggled at this, saying, "He'll be coming #soon!" (Thank goodness I am not a Pentatonix member right now, for if a Pentaholic heard me say that, they'd be triggered.)

     As if the 'barbecue delivery man' heard our wishes, the doorbell rang alarmingly.

     "I'm opening it, Mommy!" Elliot scrambled to the door, as I took off my sneakers, putting my furry husky slippers.

     "You're not the barbecue delivery man!" Elliot crossed his arms, as I came over to see who it was.

     My God.

     "Holy crap!!!" I gasped, nearly fainting. My fingers gripped onto the door frame, as Elliot merely had an angry expression, most likely since it wasn't the barbecue delivery man.

     Instead it was the barbecue-eating man. Avi freaking Kaplan.

     "Barbecue delivery man?" He chuckled, marching into MY HOUSE.

     "Elliot, go to your room," I ordered, my hand running through the runaway strands of blonde hair trickling out of my bun. Instantly, my head began to hurt, as my vision merely blurred. My eyes couldn't believe it, yet here he was, standing by me.