Chapter Thirteen: All Night

Sorry for such a long wait, dang I've been terrible with book updates for this recently. Welp...sorry 😂😂. Hope you enjoy XD.

     Pacing around the room in my pjs, I stumbled around hopelessly; my physical state drifting off to sleep, though mentally, my mind was stinging with painful thoughts.

I wandered back and forth, my heart racing faster than the rippling river of thoughts flooding inside of me.

Recently, I've been losing sleep. Because of my dumb heart, not my job and not because of the insomnia I used to have as a pregnant woman six years ago. I couldn't help it- once Avi entered my life again, my mind revolved around him. But I needed to stop, needed to stop my heart from controlling me. I couldn't let him take the most important person away from me. I couldn't let him take my baby dragon.

Yet no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Avi out of my mind, couldn't get the possibility of a happy family of three out of my thoughts.

And I stayed up. All night. Thinking about this mess.
***********************************

"Kirstie, are you falling asleep on the job?" Jeremy crossed his arms, as I snapped out of my tired thoughts, shaking my head.

"Sorry," I sighed. "I've been up all night. Everything's just going on and I'm just out of it."

Jeremy stared at me, sorrow surging though his eyes. Holding out his hand, he gestured to his office, remarking, "Come, Miss Lewis. We need to talk."

Together, we walked into the cluttered office, as he closed the door behind us.

     "Kirstie, you can't let Avi do this to you. You can't let him float around in your thoughts and steal what you love most. You can't let him take away your child and your chance to live in happiness," Jeremy stated, as I nodded.

     "I know," I intoned sadly.

I knew I couldn't let anyone take Elliot away from me, but just pondering over Avi made me doubtful of this plan that I had agreed on.

"You know. So do what you must do. Protect your child. Don't let anyone ever hurt him. You don't want his life to end up like yours. You don't want him to end up in the fame, to go through what you did. It's not only just that you don't want Kaplan to take him from you. You're worried the fame will get him too. And turn him into what you used to be."

     I gulped at his stinging words, slicing through me like sharp knives.
Yet, I knew it was true. I didn't want Kaplan to take my child and leave me helpless and alone. I didn't want Elliot to change due to the fame, like I did. I don't want him to beg for attention, to act the way I did years ago.

     "You're right," I swallowed nervously, as his thumb lifted my head, allowing me to look into his eyes.

     "Don't worry, Kirstie. We've got this," his serious expression faded into a pleased one, his eyes glimmering in the dim light.

     "We've got this," I repeated, although I wasn't too sure.
***********************************

     The corners of his cute little mouth lifted up, as his sweet smile brightened my day instantly.