Chapter Six: Baddest Girl

I slumped against the wall, panting softly, the trickling light flooding my face against the ebony shadows. My sneakers touched the other side of the narrow hall, as I calmed myself, praying that everything will be okay. It has to be okay. It can't not be okay. Because if it isn't, then I'll...there won't be much to live for anyways. Without my son, what life would I live? Without my son, I would be absolutely nothing, for being a mother...that's the only thing I care for in this world. My baby, Elliot; he's the only one who matters to me. Without him, I'd be gone.

"Mama," Elliot ran from his room, as Julia smiled sincerely, before leaving to go to her own house.

"Hi baby dragon," I smiled weakly, kissing the top of his head, as he hugged me, sitting in between my legs.

"Mommy, whatcha doing?" His adorable voice asked curiously, making me melt inside.

"Now that's a good question," I laughed dryly, as he turned around to glance at me with his big, emerald eyes, glistening with childlike affection (childlike, for unlike adult love, a child's love will never leave you).

"Mommy, can you tell me a dwagon stowy? Pwetty pleathe?" Elliot batted his long eyelashes, as I grinned knowingly, recalling all the voices I would do whenever I read him one.

"Of course," I stood up, my hand still locked to his small one, as we skipped into the bedroom, Elliot immediately jumping on the mattress, as I searched for a book.

Only to find a crumpled letter on the bookcase. I opened it, frowning, before realizing what it was.

The blurry words on the page, the repeated sentences splotched together from love and tears; they all brought me back to my past.

Do you really love me? Do you really care? Do you really want ME? Or is it just a game? Am I wasting my time? You've taken my heart, taken me on rides, only to leave me by myself and smash my heart into smithereens. Yet, no matter what goes on, I seem to be more and more entranced by you; no matter what you do to me, my heart continued to beat. But I can't take this anymore. I can't continue to get hurt after everything that happens between us. So please tell me: do you love me? Is this love real? At least, pretend to, I don't even care if your love is real. I don't know what I'm writing anymore. All I know is that I love you too much that I can try to handle this. Even, if it breaks me. Kirst, I love you.

Kirst, I love you. The words flashed through my head, as I gulped, recalling when I first read this letter. Years ago, before I was ever pregnant, before I ever even told the paparazzi of my relationship. At the time, reading this, I felt horrible, but the issues within me were too strong to make me realize that I was hurting him like the way Matt hurt me.

No, it's not true. I repeated to myself. If he loved me, he wouldn't have let me leave. If he loved me, then he would have convinced me to stay. If he loved me, then we could be a happy family together, Avi, Elliot, and I. But he didn't . He didn't love me. He doesn't love me. The only reason he's here is to take Elliot away from me.

     And I won't let him.

     Elliot's little whine brought me back to reality.

     "Did you find the book yet?" Elliot asked impatiently, laying sprawled on the bed, tired after jumping too much.

     "Yes," I nodded, taking out the book, ripping the letter suddenly, throwing the strips of paper into the trash can.

     Elliot thankfully didn't notice, his excitement for the book evident, as he scooted over for me to sit by him.

     "Wead it!" Elliot exclaimed, as I giggled, flipping to his favorite one.

     "Once upon a time," I boomed, in a deep voice, as Elliot snickered.

"There was a beautiful princess and her dear dragon friend."
***********************************

I slung my backpack over my shoulder, locking the door behind me.
Elliot was still sleeping, staying with Julia and her parents.

     I jogged downstairs, out of the building, into the salty air. The ocean breeze surfed around me, the aroma of the crashing waves and the foul stench of the trolley clashing together. Miami. Similar, yet vastly different to the California lifestyle.

     Crossing the street, among the bunch of businessmen and the dripping  family (who just came from the beach, I'm sure), I headed to the glass doors of the gym, going straight to the treadmill. I had to get my cardio flowing if I wanted to face Avi Kaplan ever again. I stepped onto the machine, setting it on a high level, as I began to pace quite quickly.

     "Glad to see there are actual weights here, unlike that tour bus years ago," his voice chuckled, as I growled at the fact that he seemed to be following me.

     "How do you always seem to know where I am?" I asked, trying to appear unfazed, so he wouldn't realize how much he annoyed me.

     "Once I find you, I will never leave you. Remember that, Kirst, since it's true." Avi replied cooly, lifting weights right beside me.

     Not saying that he didn't have muscles six years ago, but dang he sure got buff in six years. It was kinda hot, not to lie.

     "Yeah, I know I'm hot," Avi smirked, as I choked.

     Did I just say that out loud? Dang my luck!

     "You didn't say anything," Avi commented, seeing my facial expression. "But, it was clear by the way you were staring."

     "Shut up, Kaplan."

     "With pleasure, Maldonado."

     "Lewis," I corrected.

     "Okay...Maldonado," Avi teased, as I rolled my eyes, focusing back on my workout.

     Breathe, Kirstin. Breathe. Don't let him get to you.

     Too late, now.
***********************************

     Storming out of the gym after my workout, I ran to the nearest café, hoping that Avi wouldn't find me. I may or may not have lied and told him I was going to the bathroom, coming right back to talk to him about Elliot. What? Could you blame me?

     Too bad, right when I came out, he was standing right there, with a funny look plastered all over his face.

     "Can't get rid of me, babe. Once I'm here, I stick to you like a leech," Avi said, laughter drizzling out of his mouth.

     "Yeah, a leech which sucks all the happiness out of me," I grumbled, as Avi pulled me into a hug.

     "C'mon," Avi grinned, against the top of my head. "I'm not that bad."

     "But I am," I whispered back, the smiles vanishing from both of our faces. I shrugged him off of me, dashing out, and this time, he didn't come after me.

     Maybe, he finally got the hint.

Short chapter, sorry! Hope you enjoyed anyways, and hope you have a great day/night! Goodbyyeeeee!