Chapter 11 ~ I Don't Want To Be Different

Note: Alright, these next few chapters are going to involve racism and slurs will be mentioned so if that bothers you or is a trigger for you, then please don't read it - I don't want to intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. I'll explain my reasoning as to why I included it at the end of the next chapter though.

Episode: Season 4 - Heaven and Hell Pt. 1

We were about to confront Castiel and Uriel about it when they suddenly disappeared in a flash of blinding white light. Apparently, Anna had created a sigil using her blood - one that repels angels when the need arises. We took her with us then back to Bobby's place and the boys locked her up in the panic room to keep her safe. They called in Pamela Barnes then to help unlock the girl's memories - in hopes that maybe we could get to the bottom of why the angels wanted her so dead so badly. And surprisingly, it did work. As it turns out, Anna was...an angel.

We all looked at each other with wide eyes as we sat around Bobby's living room - three hunters, a psychic, a demon, and an angel. Oh, this is going to be great, I thought to myself sarcastically, sitting down in the bay window seat.

"Don't be afraid. I'm not like the others," Anna told us.

"I don't find that very reassuring," Ruby muttered under her breath, eyeing Anna.

"Neither do I," I piped up, sizing her up as well.

"So, Castiel, Uriel, they're the ones that came for me?" she asked us and Dean nodded.

"You know them?" Sam asked her.

"We were kind of in the same foxhole," she said vaguely.

"So, what were they, like, your bosses or something?" Dean questioned and she shook her haid, strands of red hair flipping over her shoulder.

"Try the other way around," she shrugged.

"Look at you," Dean muttered approvingly and I shot him a withering look to which he ignored.

"But now they wanna kill you?" Pamela asked her, tilting her head to the side.

"Orders are orders. I'm sure I have a death sentence on my head,"

"Why?"

"I disobeyed which, for us, is about the worst thing you can do. I fell,"

"Meaning?" Dean asked, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"She fell to Earth. Became human," Pamela informed him.

I chewed my lip in thought as Sam spoke up,"Wait a minute, I don't understand. Angels can just become human?"

"Kind of hurts. Try cutting your kidney out with a butter knife. That kind of hurt. I ripped out my grace," Anna explained.

"Come again?" I arched an eyebrow, speaking up for the first time.

"My grace. It's energy. Hacked it out and fell. My mother, Amy, couldn't get pregnant. Always called me her little miracle. She had no idea how right she was..." she trailed off, her eyes seeming distant then.

"So you just forgot that you were God's little Power Ranger?" Dean asked.

"The older I got, the longer I was human, yeah," she shot back.

"I don't think you all appreciate how completely messed up we are," Ruby piped up and I nodded, seconding that.

"Ruby's right. Heaven wants me dead,"

"And hell just wants her," Ruby smirked, "A flesh and blood angel that you can question, torture, that bleeds. Sister, you're the Stanley Cup. And sooner or later heaven or hell, they're gonna find you,"

"I know. And that's why I'm gonna get it back,"

"What?" I scoffed.

"My grace," she said simply.

"You can do that?" Dean arched an eyebrow.

"If I can find it," she sniffed, shrugging.

I barked out a humorless laugh at her naivety. Yeah, cause it was going to be that simple to find it.

"So what? You're just gonna take some divine bong hit. And shazam, you're Roma Downey?" I smirked, arching an eyebrow.

She spun on me suddenly, ice-blue eyes connecting to mine. Scowling slightly, she glared at me.

"Why are you even involved in this conversation? You're no help anyway, just shut your mouth," she snapped and I scoffed, not deterred by her little outburst.

"Oh, please. Honey, you wouldn't even be alive if it wasn't for me," I shot back defiantly, my brown eyes hardening.

"Only because I didn't have my powers. And even then, I could take care of myself. I don't need to be protected by a little half-breed like you!" she bit out and my eyes widened.

It felt like someone had just slapped me across the face. Hot tears brimmed in my eyes and immediately, I got up from the bay window and ran out of the house. I could just hear the sounds of raised voices at my back but I ignored them, letting the door slam shut behind me. Cool air hit me in the face and I breathed it in as I made my way to the Impala, the tears falling freely now down my cheeks. Gingerly, I climbed up onto the hood and sat down, pulling my knees into my chest before burying my head there. My dark hair fell around my face like a curtain as sobs wracked my body.

Night had already fallen around me as I cried, thoughts of Anna's outburst fresh in my mind. And not for the first time in my life, all I wanted was to not be different.