Chapter 27 ~ A Date with a Hunter?

"Hurry! Hurry! Stab it! Stab it!" Jo screamed out, blonde hair flying wildly around her as she held on for dear life.

The werewolf bucked from underneath her and she clamped her legs tight around its waist as it tried to throw her off its back. I slashed at the creature, missing slightly before stabbing at it again and it howled in agony when the blade pierced flesh. Blood oozed from the cut, running down its fur as it fell limply to the ground. Jo slid off its back, landing with an oomph in the grass beside it. I glanced over at her. She had a few cuts on her face but nothing too serious.

I'd never hunted with anyone besides Sam and Dean so all of this was a new experience for me. This time though, Bobby had been the one so insistent I go. Even though he said it was for me to feel better, I suspect it was really because he wanted me to stay out of his Twinkie stash in the cabinet. Suddenly, a pair of feet stopped in front of me and a hand was stretched out to me. Without looking, I grabbed it and was hauled to my feet. Looking up though, my eyes connected to orbs the color of chocolate and I smirked.

"How gallant of you, Hal," I teased and he grinned down at me, shrugging.

"Hey, who said chivalry's dead?" he winked, making me snicker as he released my hand.

A pair of boots stomped in the mud as Ellen came rounding the corner, shotgun tightly in her hand.

"You guys okay?" she called out as she neared us.

Hal smiled, nodding as he helped Jo to her feet as well.

"Parker over here killed it," he told her, nodding his head towards me.

I shrugged, biting my lip in response to his remark. Ellen grinned at me in thanks before we all began to head back to the car. I followed behind the mother/daughter duo and Hal lagged behind as well, walking next to me. I felt his brown eyes boring into me. We walked like that for a few minutes before finally, I glanced up at him.

"What? Why do you keep looking at me like that?" I hissed, feeling a bit agitated at being stared at.

Hal let out a chuckle, whistling lowly, "Gosh, sorry. I was just admiring a pretty girl, didn't know it was a crime, firecracker,"

I rolled my eyes playfully at the nickname, bumping his shoulder with mine. My hand brushed against his as we walked and before I knew it, his hand had enveloped mine. His skin was soft, not callused the way Dean's usually was. Glancing up, I caught Hal staring again and he blushed, trying to entangle his hand from mine.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have-" he started to say when I pulled him back.

I shrugged, smiling slightly up at him, "It's fine,"

Hal cleared his throat then and I arched an eyebrow as he shifted uncomfortably under my gaze, "What is it, Mason?"

Running his free hand through his short, dark hair, a sigh escaped his lips.

"Um, Parker, would you-uh, would you like to go out with me?" he asked, stumbling over his words.

He was blushing furiously and I found it so adorable, I found myself laughing and nodding.

"Sure, Hal. That sounds like fun," I admitted, accepting his offer.

He grinned down at me before pulling me along as we neared the vehicle. When I climbed in the passenger seat of the pick-up truck, I glanced behind me to see Hal laughing at something Jo said. But when I turned back around, Ellen shot me a knowing smirk and I blushed, waving her off.

"What? I love looking at him when he smiles... Not a word, Ellen," I warned her and she just shook her head with a grin.

"Whatever you say." she shrugged.

But as we drove away, I heard her mumble something about me "whipping her nephew" under her breath. Chuckling to myself, I gazed out the window as we headed back to Bobby's.