16. Breaking Ties

A/N:

SURPRISE!

Double update!

Enjoy!

- Annelie Leddy
_______________________________________

I felt like my world was spinning off its axis. Not a single thing made sense to me. How could I be so stupid? Thinking everything in my life would end happily ever after. It never works like that, especially not for me. I know that I shouldn't be feeling sorry for myself, that I should move on and feel positive, but I felt so helpless. I was tired. I was physically and emotionally tired. I could only imagine how Mads feels.

I slept in our bed, alone. Mads had never returned. After craddling me for what seemed like hours, he begged me to drink some water so that I wouldn't get dehydrated from my constant crying. Afterwards the tears continued and he held me in his arms in bed even longer.

I cried myself to sleep in his arms, however when I woke up, my clothes had been taken off and I was tucked under the covers with no Mads in sight. I shifted from side to side, uncomfortable in any position. My head throbbed, and my mouth was dry. My cheeks felt heavy as were my eyes. It felt as though my skin was drooping down to my chin.

I sit up slowly, pulling myself back together. My heart throbbing even more, like someone was banging on it with a hammer.

"Drink the water," Mads voice echos.

I shift my gaze to the doorway where he stands. Leaning against the doorway wearing only grey sweats, he stares at me. His eyes drooped with dark circles from lack of sleep. His face layered in dissapointment.

I turned to the bedside table and where a cold water bottle sita. I take it and open it, drinking it until I am satisfied.

"All of it," he orders.

I do as I am told. Drinking all of the water until it is gone. My head still banging. My mind was so foggy.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Helvede! Do not apologize. I don't want to hear you apologize anymore," he curses under his breath.

My head lowers in shame. I continued to make a mess of his life and no apology could even come close to fixing it.

"I wish, I could take it back. The things I said," I say with guilt.

"I don't. She deserved to hear the truth. She's turned into Angela. Spiteful, hateful. No one will love her if she continues to be this way. She needed a taste of her own medicine," he explains.

He walks into the room, slowly taking short steps until he is at the edge of the bed. He sits in front of me at the edge. The bed dipping, forcing me to be lowered, closer to him.

"She was like a daughter to me. In my eyes, she could do nothing wrong. I spoiled her. I gave her anything her heart desired, all because she was the closest thing I had to a child. I cared for her even after she turned 18. I adopted her...in my eyes she was an angel. If she had killed someone, I would bury the body for her. If she had started a war, I'd fight and win it for her. But..."

He shakes his head then lowers it in shame. He takes in a deep breath, his body nearly shaking now. I thought maybe he was crying but when he raised his head I saw the look on his face. Anger.

"She threatened you. She threatened to hurt you. She threatened to kill you. Drunk or not. I cannot and will not forgive her for that. I promised Vicinity to care for her, but I did not promise to keep her as my family. Blood or not, she is not a part of me anymore," he says.