27. Apart Again

Allison

I stood at the end of the dock, watching the boat depart. Mads was inside the cabin, probably resting on an uncomfortable wooden seat ordering a cup of black coffee. He probably continued to run his hand through his hair nervously, thinking of his meetings and what else awaited him in the city.

I, however, stood there with car keys in my hand, a pain in my chest and a wild imagination. Feeling sick to my stomach about what awaited Mads on the mainland, I turned on my heels and walked down the wood planks.

At the end of the dock stood Troy and the twins, looking concerned, serious and somewhat saddened by their uncles departure. Well... all of them looked that way except for Reed. Reed had a dumb smile on his face, satisfied with the morning events and excited for more.

"Lets go, I'm starving!" Reed yells. He jumps with excitement like a child, making a run for the car.

"Come on, I'll drive," Troy says holding out his hand to take the keys.

I shake my head, a smirk coming upon my lips.

"Nope! Mads sepcifically told me, only I drive his truck, no one else. Especially not the twins," I say then give Christopher a glare.

"Oh come on! Thats the whole reason why Reed was excited about him leaving, now he'll be sitting on the couch all day pouting," Christopher whines.

We approach Mads's expensive truck, a grin on my face as I begin to settle in the drivers seat.

°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°○°

Q's Diner was decorated like a 1950s diner, except it served alcohol. It was my favorite place to eat on the island, of course I'd never tell Penelope that.

The diner was decorated with light green and white checkered tiles, green and white booths with white tables. The ceiling was a light yellow, due to age not paint. The lights that hung over the tables were like a cone, something from a science fiction film.

The waitresses normally wore knee length pleated white skirts with a green apron and a green button up shirt. They were extremely friendly to us because most of them went to school with Troy and knew the Struhsts well. One of the waitresses in particular had a crush on Troy and it was incredibly noticable yet he acted as if he didn't know.

This waitress that was incredibly in love with Troy was our waitress today.

"Sarah!" Reed shouted excitedly. His hands were thrown up in the air with excitement before thumping down on the table.

"Hi guys... Hi... um.... Troy," she stutters as her face turns a shade of crimson.

She was a lovely girl, older than me but still young. She was a blonde girl with thick cheecks, an hourglass figure and an ass to die for. Troy gave her a small "hi" with a kurt nod.

"What can I get you?" She says, her eyes stay solely on Troy.

"The regular, but this time I want a chocolate milkshake!" Reed anounces to which Sarah jots the it down on a notepad.

"For breakfast, seriously?" Christopher scolds Reed.

"I can have whatever I want, Mom says so," Reed jokes. We all give a form of laughter to his remark then resume our orders.

"I'll get the All-American, and a cup of coffee," Christopher says. Sarah jots it down fast then looks at Troy.

"I'll just get scrambled eggs, some sausage, some whole-grain toast on the side. I'll have coffee as well," Troy says with a gloomy tone.

"Okay!" Sarah says excitedly before leaving our table hastily.

I am like a fish, opening and closing my mouth to say something but before I can Sarah goes through the swinging doors to the kitchen. I close my mouth and try to remember. Did I order and just forget?

I bite my lip nervously, doubting myself until suddenly Christopher speaks up.

"I must have spaced," he says shaking his head almost laughing. "What did you order, Ali?"

I open and close my mouth again like a fiah only to shake my head.

"I can't remember..." I think for another moment but suddenly Troy stands up from the booth distracting my thoughts.

He walks with determination, straight for the swinging door of the kitchen. I had hoped he was in the midst of finding Sarah to ask her out. They would be very cute together.

"Whats wrong with him?" Christopher comments.

"Maybe he's gonna ask Sarah to help him with the stick up his ass," Reed says effortlessly. Without even glancing at one another the twins high-five both with grins on their faces and eyes on their phones.

"I hope he's asking her out. He seems so..." I lose my words trying to find the right combination to come up with. As synonyms fly through my brain Reed lets out a chuckle.

"Boring?" Reed adds.

"Dull?" Christopher helps him.

"Deadpan," I correct.

Reed lets out an "oooo" sound like I have just shown him a shiney new toy. He nods with excitement.

"What does that mean?" He asks eagerly.

Like always, Christopher slaps his twin on the back of the head alowing his hair to become messy and thus Reed hurriedly fixes it.

"Aw! You know how long it took me to get it just right!" Reed grumbles.

"Yes I do know, because we were late this morning," Christopher hisses.

Their little dispute is shoved aside as we hear the swinging door open with with loud bang. The door burst open hitting the wall brutally. Troy, with his lips a thin line, his eyebrows furrowed and his cheeks red, stalks to our table. He sits beside me like he did before except he leans back into his seat with his arms crossed.

Following Troy is Sarah. Her eyes don't meet the table, instead they are glued to the floor. She is hesitant at first to say something but when she does its a stuttering mess.

"I-I-I'm so... so sorry for... for for-forgeting your order... w-w-what can I get for y-you," she stammers.

My eyes widen at her drastic change. From a preppy waitress to a stuttering nervous wreck.

"Are you okay, Sarah?" I ask her concerningly.

"I'm sorry... everythings fine..." she says shakily. "What can I get for you?"

I take in a deep breath, the site of her change is almost terrifying. I open my mouth to begin talking when Troy bursts.

"She'll have the pancakes with strawberries and hot chocolate. She will also have a side of candied bacon and sausages," Troy orders.

"Is t-that all?" She asks as she jots down the order, still not looking up.

"Yes... you're number would be great," Troy says smoothly.

Sarah looks up from her notepad, her eyes suddenly wide and sparkling. Her lips curve to a smile, showing her perly white teeth.

"Of course!" She squeals.

The drastic change makes me share a glance with Reed then Christopher who both seem to notice her sudden change. They share a look then retreat to their phones shaking their heads.

With that, we wait for our breakfast. Conversations shift from one topic to another until we find ourselves stuffing our face with fatty, American, greasy food. Once we are all full, Troy pays the check and we begin to leave, Troy of course takes the receipt with Sarah's number written on it.