37. A New Life

Allison

Three weeks had passed and they were much better than the months that we had endured previously.

No pain or suffering. Mads and I were content with life, sleeping next to eachother, making love nearly every night, eating beside eachother, talking, laughing.

Troy was still on the run, no one could find him. His picture was posted on every boat that came to the island, there was no way he'd ever be able to come back. Vincent and Penelope seemed to feel at fault for not knowing but just like us they got through it.

Thanksgiving came and even though the Struhst family was 75% Danish, they still wanted to hold some sort of tradition. The American meaning of Thanksgiving was not at all uphelp here, instead we treated it as if we were celebrating family.

I had seen Mads cook but after seeing him cook a turkey amongst the rest of the side dishes for the entire family, I decided it was the perfect job for him. He seemed to be a natural.

After Thanksgiving, December came and the temperatures dropped drastically.

I was used to being inside the inn, not wanting to even consiser going back home and Mads agreed.

We both decided to find a new home or even build one on another piece of property. We wanted something for ourselves, a place that was ours. It seemed crazy to jump into buying a home together but it was something we needed.

Home buying was put on the back burner for tonight however. It was our 1 year anniversary. We decided to not count the monthes of being apart and decided no matter where we were or who we were, we held eachothers heart in the end.

I was wearing a white lace dress that ended at my knees, the spaghetti straps held the dress tight aginst my tiny frame. I was putting on a pair of white pumps when Mads came in knocking.

"You ready to go?" He asked with a wide grin on his face.

"Can you please just tell me where we're going?" I whine as I stumble putting my last heel on.

"Nope. Just trust me," He says as his smile grows wider.

I shake my head, grabbing my clutch from the dresser and then following him out the bedroom door. We walk hand in hand down the stairs and out of the inn.

As we walk down the path, I give a slight shiver but ignore the cold. We go to his truck where he helps me in, then we are off.

He drives down the road rather slowly, taking his time and glancing at me every so often. I had never seen him smile like this. I knew he was taking me somehwere special but I truly had no idea what he was going to do.

Finally turning into a familiar empty gravel parking lot. Seaside entrance to the island in view.

This is the area where the boats dock when guests arrive or leave. There were no boats scheduled for the night which is why I was confused.

Mads hurries around the truck to open my door and help me out. He seems to have no intention of letting my hand go and to be honest I dont want him to.

After several moments of walking towards the dock, my heart begins to pick up the pace. I shiver more as the december air encompusses me.

"You forgot your jacket, elsker," Mads says chuckling.

I nod, mindlessly staring at the city lights that are off in the distance. The skyscrapers and the streaming lights that brighten the night sky were stunning.