19. Fever

I called Troy. I had to. Standing in the kitchen, biting my nails, I dialed his number. As it rang, I leaned over the kitchen island, my mind running rampent with scenarios.

"Whats wrong now? Is he coughing up a lung yet?"

I take in a deep breath.

"I've heard that fevers can make you crazy, is that true?" I say instantly.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Mads's fever is worse and every time I try to do anything he yells at me. He never yells at me," I explain.

"What exactly happened?"

"I had turned up the AC to help him, and I tried to take the blanket from him and it was like a switch flipped. He was yelling at me, he was getting really angry," I explain.

"How angry?" His voice is full of concern, as if I said there was a gun in the room. I try to think for a minute. He was only yelling so it wasn't that bad, right?

"Alison! How angry is he?" Troy frets.

"Um...I-I-I don't know...I mean he is just angry... he said that when I yell at him it pisses him off but I wasn't yelling at him," I try my best to explain.

"Get out of the house, wait for me, alright," he says hanging up.

I turn to leave. Moving towards the foyer. My steps make the hardwood creek. My hand latches onto the door knob, twisting and pulling the door open. The cool fall breeze hits me, nearly lifting the knee length, silk camisol night gown that I wear.

I take a step onto the front porch, my goal was the stairs of the porch. Before reaching the first step I was pulled back. My body lifting off of the floor. The sound of a low grunt echos in my ears as I find myself back inside my home. The arm around my waist stays, yet I am placed back on the ground. The front door slams shut, making me shake in fear.

"Where are you going?" Mads asks.

His breath fans my neck causing goosebumps. I hated this feeling in the pit of my stomach, the feeling of fear but from someone I love.

"Why don't you come back to bed with me?" He says pulling me flush against him.

"In a little bit, I just wanted some air, the breeze felt nice," I say shakily.

"You wanna know what else would feel nice? Hmm."

I can't help but begin to shiver. My body reacting without my knowledge, the fear consuming me.

Josh. He enters my brain so quick that I can't even begin to proccess the tears that fill my eyes.

"Come on, baby," he says pulls me towards the room. The heat from him could be seen as his skin was red and sweat dripped down his neck. His skin growing pale.

Being pulled into the darkness of our bedroom, I felt the fear consume me. Frozen in place, no longer wanting to move, I pulled away from him.

"Come on, I'll make you feel good," he says a little less sweet than he did before. He grabs me by both of my wrists, pulling me flush against him. His grip grows tight as I shake my head. I attempt to take a step back only to have Mads's grip grow so tight that I yelp in pain.
I pull from him with pleading eyes. I thought it wasn't possible but his grip grew even more.

"Please! Stop!" I scream.

With his jaw tightly clenched, his muscles flexing, he lets me go with a soft shove. I rub my wrist as they throb painfully.

"Alison," he growls.

"Y-y-you're sick, Mads."

He sighs and shakes his head before bringing his fingers to pinch the bridge of his nose. After taking in a deep breath, he begins to cough. The sound of him wheezing made me feel sick inside. I hated seeing the man I love so sick, yet I was terrified to comfort him.

"Stop saying that!" He yells.

His hand lets go of my wrist, now balled into a fist. Mads takes a swing and hits the wall beside me, making me scream in fear. The plaster of the wall breaks, creating a large hole.

I cower, taking several steps backwards. I turn and dart for the front door, my heart bursting out of my chest with addrenaline.

"Alison!" Mads yells furiously.

I grab the door knob of the front door, twisting it, pulling it, opening the door to freedom.

Troy has taken only a few steps from his truck when he sees me. His eyes widen in concern, as I screetch in horror. The sound of Mads's heavy, angry, footsteps becomes louder and louder.

As fast as my feet can carry me, I run to Troy. He hurries to me, latching onto my arms and pulling me close to him. Mads has just stepped out of the house when Troy swoops his around around me protectively.

"What the fuck!" Mads yells.

He storms towards us with fury. His eyes darker than before.

"Take your hands off her, now!" He growls at Troy.

"Uncle, you need to calm down," Troy says pulling me behind him.

"How long has this been going on?" Mads says with dibelief.

"What?" Troy says shaking his head.

"You've been fucking her behind my back, haven't you....you think you can just take her from me, is that it?"

"No! Uncle, please calm down. The fever is getting to you. Why don't we check your temperature," Troy says cautiously.

"You'd love for me to be sick. You can take over the hospital, Troy. Hell! You can even be mayor, but you will never, ever, take her from me," Mads nearly hisses the words.

"Uncle, I didn't want to do this but, you leave us no choice," Troy says with sorrow.

"Guys!" Troy calls out.

His truck doors open and shut. Like knights rushing to save the princess, the twins appear with grace. Tall and broad.

"Take his arms," Troy orders.

The twins hastily approach Mads, grasping him by the arms. Of course Mads being the strongest out of all the men in the Struhst family, he pulls away. They pull onto his arms again and twist and turn having difficulty as they hold him in place.

Troy dissapears for a moment, opening the passenger door, fiddling with something.

"We can't hold him much longer!" Reed yells.

Troy returns with a syringe in hand.

"Hold him still," Troy orders.