The Book-Keeper

You watched with a sigh as yet another candle flickered and died, the small line of smoke twisting and curling in the air like a snake in water as you opened the thick book on your lap.

Adrien Noir, of French descent. Died by a demon's hand. 23 years of age.

Again? That demon was on a bloody massacre, the amount of deaths you were receiving. With another bome-weary sigh, you pulled out your phone and dialled a number.

"What? Im busy."

"William, I need to know whos comitting all these murders. They arent on your lists, and my book tells me their lives were ended far too early. This Adrien guy? He has a massive thick wad of papers left blank and empty now."

"I would think so. His record doesnt make sense either. Sutcliffe should be back soon. I can check properly then. How many deaths have you recorded that were incorrect?" Your hands were deft and experienced as they flicked through the thick, heavy pages of your book, eyes scanning every name.

"Im on 26, as of right--" Another candle wavered and was suddenly snuffed out -- a violent and quick death. "Scratch that, 27. Another quick murder." There was a growl from the other end of the phone as William. T. Spears shuffled through some papers. You could hear his deep sigh.

"Do they all say demon?" Your finger rab down the final page of the recent victim: Merry Stoneheart, only a small orphan of 13 years. Her parents had died not long after her birth.

"Yeah, and theres no pattern in regards to victims. I've had a young French guy and now a young orphan girl. Theres no pattern other than they were all murdered quickly and violently." There was cursing. "Do I need to go out?" A sigh.

"It looks that way, yes." You hummed as you grabbed a bag, placing your book in there along with an assortment of weapons. "Be careful, (y/n). If this is who I think it is, he is a despicable creature who has a complete disregard for everyone except his master." You nodded, making aure your hair was out of your face before leaving, pulling rhe front door of your home open, and walking into the light that served as your transportation to anywhere you wished.

"Well, he hasnt met me yet, Will."

...:::...

London was really beautiful.

It had been centuries since you had last been here, and you had forgotten the ache in your heart that conveyed to you just how much you had missed the fog-dampened streets, the lamps struggling to break the grey smoke as it curled and wisped around your ankles, like dead spirits trying to grab you.

"Rather late for a stroll, is it not, demon?" You wore a sweet smile as you turned to survey the demon before you.

Hair as dark as sin, wearing a butker's garb, pale skin and the most startling golden eyes.

"Claude Faustus, I presume?" Your smile never wavered.

"Why are you here, Book-Keep?" You giggled sweetly, your voice like candy.

"Someones been screwing with lives around here. Its my job to sort it out." There was a soft 'tch' from the demon.

"I thought that was the job of the reapers." You shook your head, pulling your book out, opening it and watching as a plume of candles shot out and surrounded you.

"Not always. If the situation is severe enough, I will step in. As you can see, I have the power to see all that goes on. I can give life..." you took a tall candle -- Merry Stoneheart's -- and touched it to another, your smile softening as the small lump near you gave a sudden gasp. "And I can take it, when the need arises." You took a very short candle, and with a gentle breath, blew it out. Somewhere nearby, and old man succumbed in his sleep next to his loving wife -- quick and painless.

Claude merely regarded you with his icy gaze, golden eyes like cold fire as he made no movement. Your smile turned to a dark grin as you slammed your book shut the candles vanishing in a puff of smoke, the book slidig into your bag with ease.

Your hand shot up, and caught the golden knife mere centimeters from your eye. Claude snarled as you chuckled, pulling out your own knives.

"I think its time I took another life, wouldnt you say?" There was a blur before sparks flew in the night.

Far below you, sat Merry, watching with wide eyes as she watched the two strange creatures fight and clash beneath the moon's light, bathing them in the pearly light, making then seem angelic. She smiled gently, sitting back.

But then you fell from the sky, blood streaming, mouth screaming.

Your bag slipped from your shoulder, you precious book slipping out, and falling into the lap of Merry.

You continued to fall.