💠TWENTY-TWO💠

EDITED NOVEMBER 20TH, 2018

"Mom?"

Artemis, my mother, smiled from her place on the bench, patting the seat beside her. A large lake sat in front of her, little bits of snow falling from the sky.

I looked around, trying to place where I was, but I recognized none of it. I was clothed in white, a dress that matched my mother's.

"Come sit, baby. We don't have much time,"

I placed myself next to her on the bench. Artemis took in a deep breath of the air, smiling up at the sky.

"Winter is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the look of fresh snow in the forest. It's breathtaking," she looked over to me, sensing my confusion as she smiled at me, placing a hand on top of mine. "This is just a dream, Luna. You will wake soon. I asked Morpheus for help, I needed to speak with you quickly and without Zeus knowing."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, looking over at my mother. She was breathtaking, more so than the scenery around us. She could put Aphrodite to shame.

"My love," Artemis began, turning to face me. She cupped my cheek, stroking it lightly. "You were born sixteen years ago, and sixteen years ago an urban legend came about. It flew among the Gods and Goddesses, and it flew among the demi-gods as well. The story spoke of a child, a half-blood child, blessed by Demeter, Aeolos, Hestia, and Poseidon. The story goes that when this half-blood was born, these gods and goddesses bestowed upon her their gifts. This half-blood was given the gift of the elements, though some would say that it was a curse."

"Blessed with a curse that has the power to balance the universe," I whispered, repeating the one line of the prophecy that I had never quite understood. Artemis nodded, looking back over at the lake.

"Yes, my love, that half-blood was you. You were born with the most gorgeous pair of green eyes, but once they gifted you your powers, they turned silver,"

"So in the Parthenon, when my eyes glowed green, I was channeling Demeter?" my mother nodded.

"You needed the strength to pull the ground from underneath the building, more strength than my powers alone gave you."

"And in the underworld-"

"You were drawn to the fire, and the fire could not burn you, because the fire runs through your veins,"

I took a deep breath, nodding my head.

"This definitely makes my prophecy make more sense,"

"Zeus does not know about you," Artemis told me, making me look over at her. "He was upset at the prospect of me having a child in the first place, so we hid what we had done from him. He still does not know, but I needed to tell you who you were, because Percy needs you. Everyone needs you, and you need to know who you are in order to help them."

"But Zeus is going to know, now,"

"Yes, he will, but he can not hurt you. Your destiny is far to important to the salvation of the Great Prophecy, he would not risk us all to destroy you,"

She leaned forward, grabbing my head and placing a kiss on my forehead.

"No matter what happens, Luna, know that you are my child, and I will never regret that,"

"Mom-"

"Wake up, Luna,"

**********

"Luna! Luna please wake up!"

My eyes shot open as I began gasping for breath, clawing at the ground underneath me. I looked down at my attire, noticing I was back in the same clothes I was wearing on our quest, and let out a loud sigh. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked into the eyes of Percy's mother, a smile crossing her face when she saw me awake.

"Oh thank goodness you're okay!"

"Where are we? What happened?"

"We're on the Empire State Building, the door to Olympus is up here. When Percy and I finally materialized you materialized on the ground, knocked out cold. At first you weren't breathing but I finally found your pulse."

"Percy...did he already go up to the gods to give them the bolt?"

"Now, Luke showed up. he took the bolt and flew off downtown, Percy wasn't far behind him."

"Help me up,"

Miss Jackson helped me to my feet and I stumbled over to the railing. I squinted my eyes, peering out into the distance, seeing a few lightning strikes pinpointing where Luke and Percy were.

"Your eyes, Luna, they're glowing white,"

"I'm not surprised," I whispered, looking around at my surroundings. White could only mean one thing: wind. "Stay here, Miss Jackson. I'll be back,"

"Where are you going?"

"To help Percy," I jumped up onto the railing, balancing on my feet on top. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes and imagining exactly what I wanted as I stepped into the air.

"Oh my gods..." I could hear Percy's mother whisper as I opened my eyes, looking down to see myself literally walking on the air. I took a few more steps, testing it out before deciding that I would be okay. "You really are her."

I looked back at her, smiling.

"Not much of an urban legend, I guess. Here," I said to her, taking the quiver off my back and throwing it to her, "put that with my bow over there."

"But don't you need your weapon?"

"I think I found a new one,"

And I was off, almost flying through the air with a grin on my face.