Aftermath

I carried Tris bridal style back to my apartment, and laid her on the bed. She whimpered a little into my chest as I kissed her forehead.

"Shhh baby, I'm right here." I felt a little weird calling her 'baby' since we just started back up, and I'd probably never call her that anyway, but she needed reassurance quick.

I'd never call her baby, because she's not a baby. She's tough. She's strong, she's brave. She doesn't need babying, and I'd never think she would. But poor girl, all she's been through, in the simulation and in reality.

I stand a move to the other side of the bed, but as I'm about to wrap my arms around her, she turns, facing me.

"Tobias." She whispers, with fear in her eyes. And something else too, a kind of desperation, begging me to understand.

I kiss her forehead again.

"I understand. I'll take the couch." I whisper against her skin.

She mumbles a "thank you." Before I stand up.

"I love you." I whisper before shutting the bedroom door.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I wake up on the couch.

What the heck?

Then I remember last night. Zeke. Al. Tris.

I stand up and walk to the bedroom. Tris is laying on her side, awake, but just staring at the wall.

"Hey." I whisper.

She looks at me and gives me a hoarse "hey."

I walk over and crouch in front of her.

"You makin it?"

She lets out a short laugh, and after a moment, I do to.

"I'm alive. I guess that's all I can say."

"Hey." I say quietly.

"Look at me." She takes her eyes of the wall and her eyes meet mine.

"I told you last night, it feels like it's going to hurt forever, but you'll make it through this. You'll survive. I promise."

She lets out a small sob and pulls me toward her, tucking her head into my chest.

I just hold her, knowing that's what she needs. I kiss her head, and we stay like that for what feels like hours, but when I glance at the clock, it's only been about 10 minutes.

"Tris." I whisper into her hair.

"Hm?"

"Do you want to go to work or go home?"

"Here's always a option too." I add quickly.

She sighs. "I need to go to work."

"Okay."

I stand, gently pulling her with me. When we're standing, she puts her head on my chest again, but doesn't cry, just stands there in my arms.

After a minutes she pulls away, runs her fingers through her hair, and walks out.