Chapter 2

Stressed was one way to put how I was feeling right now.

College was less than twelve hours away, and I still hadn't got my stuff together. Books were scattered all over my room, I couldn't even find my bag, I'm sure Maddie had used it for a sleep over but mum said she hadn't. After about fifteen minutes of searching for it, I gave up. I don't usually give up that easy on things but today I just wasn't in the mood.

It started with waking up this morning to Maddie's violin practise, that sounded like chalk scratching against a black board. Then the boiler being sentimental, so I had to deal with a not so warm shower.

But overall it was that time period in a girls month, that one wrong comment or look, could really piss her off. All I wanted was a warm shower, sleep and food.

As Thea puts it...

I am Hangry, angry and hungry.

For four days straight.

I deicide to walk Alf before it rains, I message Thea to get a quick reply back, that she's out buying a new outfit for Ava's eighteenth party, on Friday. I never knew why she feels the need to have a new outfit for each special occasion, but she does. I'll probably just throw on something old and comfortable which Thea and Jen will tell me to change out of before going.

Apparently converse aren't actually allowed for Proms. Who knew?

I get to the park, pull out my headphones and let Alf go off to do his thing. After about four years of coming here, I've already declared a spot under a large oak tree to be mine. It's the perfect spot, big enough to lean against, clean grass to sit on, and I can see the whole park so Alf can't get lost.

I flick through my playlists before deciding I was in a Blur mood, 'Girls and Boys' comes on, as I start to scroll on Instagram. I was never a big social media fan until i got Instagram, and then I became just under obsessed.

Alf pounds over with a large stick hanging from his mouth, one of the many things he has found in this park. I take it off him and throw it across the grass, he runs after it and starts to bring it back before we both hear the same sound from the other side of the green.

I was quick to start trying to get him on the lead before he found the source of the noise, but not as quick as he was to finding it. Alf sprung from his position straight to the other dog, thanks to him being a healthy young animal compared to me, a less physically fit teen, he was far ahead.

As I jogged after him, the other dog and its owner started to come in eye view, it was an Alsatian a bit smaller compared to Alf. It was a well groomed dog, it's fur looked immaculate and shiny, it was walking perfectly in time with its owner, until it saw Alf. Once the other dog had seen Alf it shot right up and started to run, causing its owner to tumble over his feet but just regain his balance as he dropped the lead.

"I'm so sorry if I knew Alf would have ran at you I would have put him on the lead" the guy turns his attention from the now two dogs running mad around the field, to me.

I couldn't quite see his facial features, "That's your dog?" his voice was deep and yet smooth, even his question sounded almost irritated.

"Ha yeah sorry, is your dog alright off the lead?"

He looks back to his dog who is now jumping on Alf, while they both run in and out of the bushes, "She's fine off the lead, but she has got the lead with her"

"Crap, sorry, she'll come back right? Do you need help getting her?"

"I'll be fine thanks," I could feel the bitterness spilling from his mouth. He walks calmly towards the dogs before tapping his leg and whistling out, his dog stops running and starts to walk back to him, as does Alf. I've never seen him respond so well before, it usually takes a bit more effort than a whistle and tap. He grabs the lead, and makes his way back to my direction with Alf following behind.

"This one belongs to you" he looks down to Alf before walking past to the gates of the park, "next time, keep it on the lead"

Well, who crapped in his cereal this morning? I even offered to help him get her, but whatever that's cool.

Honestly people just annoy me.

I put Alf back on his lead and start to walk home, the shop around the corner from my house should still be open, and I've got cravings for custard donuts.

I go to tie Alf up on the dog stops outside before noticing a similar dog from before was also tied up, the dog seemed okay so I started to wrap his lead up, when a loud grunt from behind makes me flinch.

"Are you following me?" I turn around to see the same guy from before, with the same unimpressed expression across his face, this time his eyebrows were furrowed, most probably in confusion.

"Hmm no"

"Well it seems like you are" his tone is flat, face still emotionless. I start seeing his features now we are near street lights. His hair was of the messy nature, dark brown with a little length, not shaven around the sides like most of the guys at college. He had thick dark eyebrows, that had seemed to always been scrunched together in disgust, which accompanied pale pink lips that were expressionless. You'd think of him to be quite a threatening character, with dark eyes almost black, and a large, tall frame, but a few scattered freckles across his nose to the edge of his cheeks, stopped any scariness radiating off him.

"Well I'm not, so you can hold the restraining order"

The corners of his lips twitched and for a second I think an emotion or something of a smile or a frown would tumble from his face, but they slowly went back to place before he rolled his eyes, and started to walk off down the street with his dog.

-

I pack my bag when I get in, eventually finding out Maddie had got it, which mum then apologised for. I don't have to be in till eleven tomorrow for photography, so its not all bad, and I guess it will be good to have the clan all back, since the twins went away, Jen was busy in France with her mum and Kai was on this IT course with his dad.

I plug my phone in to charge, put on Mumford & Sons first album, then slowly drift off.