An Evening at the Ball

Finding You Always

Chapter 32: An Evening at the Ball

The evening of the ball

He thought after dressing in clothing from this realm for so long that the garb similar to what he wore in the Enchanted Forest would feel uncomfortable after all these years. But David found himself not noticing much difference. They had declared the ball open to both traditional fashions found in the Enchanted Forest and the modern fashions of this realm. Many were choosing modern fashions since they were so readily available, but Snow had hired one of the best seamstresses in town to craft their family's evening wear. The seamstress had done a wonderful job.

The tight, black leather pants and polished black boots felt like a second skin and the formal deep red tunic with silver trimmings suited him well. Snow loved the color on him and hadn't been able to resist in ordering an almost identical formal outfit for their son. Leo stood next to him, trying not to fidget with his collar, but standing this still at his age was a challenge and he was doing well, considering.

Eva was the first to come out excitedly in her pink bedazzled ball gown and she twirled carefully, as her mother had shown her. David's face lit up and he knelt beside her.

"You look beautiful, princess," he said, as he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

Emma was next, still looking a bit unsure in such an elaborate gown, but she managed a smile, as David looked at her in awe.

"Oh Emma...this is everything I ever wanted for you," he said, as she gently hugged him, careful not to crush her silver gown.

"I know...I'm glad I let you and mom talk me into this," she admitted.

Snow finally came out next and he was, as he had been many times before, stunned to speechlessness. The woman he loved so incredibly glided to him in a shimmering white gown with silver trimmings and jeweling, complete with a tiara resting on the crown of her head.

"You are, without a doubt, the most beautiful woman in all the realms," he said with such reverence that made her knees weak. He kissed the back of her hand and she smirked.

"I think you can do better than a kiss on my hand, Charming," she teased. He smirked back.

"Proper ball etiquette suggests anymore than a kiss to the hand is improper, even for married royals," he teased back.

"Well, it's a stupid rule and one we never followed anyway. We have never been much for rules, so why start now?" she prompted, as she got what she wanted and he kissed her passionately on the lips.

"You do realize I'm going to be late for my own ball if we don't go, right?" Emma interrupted. Their lips parted and they smiled at each other. He offered each arm to his wife and eldest daughter. Copying his father, Leo offered his arm to his twin and they ventured out.

Regina surveyed her appearance in the mirror and the jade green dress with gold trimmings with scrutiny. Normally, she tended to favor reds and blacks, but Robin's formal wear was dark green and she had been trying to distance herself from her Evil Queen persona for quite a few years now.

"You look beautiful," Robin complimented, as he came up behind her. She smiled.

"Thanks...but I'm still not sure if going to this thing is a good idea. There's many that don't want me there," she replied.

"I want you there. And David and Snow want you there. They've forgiven you and if they can, so can everyone else," he said, as he kissed her cheek.

"And even if they don't, their opinions matter little to me," he added. She nodded and with Roland between them, they left for the ball.

"Hurry up Lucifer!" Drizella snapped, as she shuffled her gown along, as they approached the town hall. Once the Tremaine family cat, like Ella's mice, he had gained a human form in this realm. He was a portly man, with greasy brown hair and still as cunning and nasty as ever. He carried a camera and wore a press badge like Drizella.