Level 14: Let Her Distract You

AXEL

"This is amazing," Violet groaned around her burger.

I glanced at her over mine. Her curls were soaked and dishevelled, her eyes shining.

"Burgers are the best—they're like my third favourite food after cookies and cake. Or maybe my fourth—I really love brownies—and pie—and waffles—and pastries. I could probably eat like a thousand cakes right now. My dad used to say I have a bottomless stomach—" she paused. "I'm babbling."

I couldn't help my grin, even though my thoughts hadn't yet calmed. She was coming off an adrenaline rush—it was visible in the way her eyes were shining and the fact that she was so talkative.

It was adorable.

To be honest, I was glad she was still talking to me. I'd half expected her to tell me she no longer wanted to be around me. Thanks to me, the perfect Violet Madison had nearly been caught sneaking into the school pool.

Another thought returned: She'd stayed.

The thought still floored me.

I'd given her an out. She could have left me behind.

She'd chosen to stay.

"It's cool." I grinned despite the swirling in my thoughts. "How does it feel to be a rebel?"

Casual, just act casual Axel.

She finished her burger, waving her fingers over her face. "I still feel like my heart's beating too fast." She pinned me with a glare that made me blink. "We are not doing that again."

"Your wish is my command."

Honesty. There was no way I was taking her on any more 'rebellious' outings. That was a close enough call for one lifetime.

I inclined my chin to the takeaway bag on the centre console of the car. "Want another one?"

Still half-out-of-it when we entered the drive-thru, I'd made my usual order. Which was every burger on the menu. I hadn't considered how weird it would look. But she hadn't reacted at all.

Her eyes widened slightly. "Can I?"

I grinned. "Yeah, go for it."

She beamed, then reached for another one.

"Do you always buy this many burgers?" Violet asked half-way through a chicken royale.

I half-shrugged. "Yeah." I raised an eyebrow, maintaining an amused expression. "You think it's weird?"

My ex thought it was weird.

She shook her head, curls spraying water behind her. "I've always wanted to buy everything on the menu at once."

I blinked, then I smiled. "I guess we both have bottomless stomachs."

She grinned up at me. "I guess so."

The light from the streetlamps made her eyes sparkle.

The words popped out of my mouth before I could stop them: "Do you want to have an eating competition?"

Wow, good one Axel. What are you, five?

But then her eyes widened. "What are the rules?"

Her excitement was infectious. "The person who eats the most burgers in the next ten minutes gets cake."

She grinned. "You're on."

*

"My boys look so handsome," mom beamed as we all slipped out of the car.