Level 16: Know You're Not Worth It

AXEL

The school stadium was bathed in sunlight, though my sunglasses dimmed the colours. I watched as people spilled out into the parking lot, laughing and finishing off stadium food.

I remained in my spot, leaning against my car, enjoying the heat of the sun against the bare skin of my arms.

Frankly, today, I was feeling pretty damn good.

Sun, check. Lack of responsibilities, check. A relaxed afternoon, check.

Violet's face flashed into my thoughts.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I liked the fact that she was ignoring her ex. That, for the last week, she'd spent every day after school with me, eating Walter's ice cream.

The thought was followed by a surge of words like: You're taking advantage, She's in love with her ex, She's too good for you, You're an idiot.

I shoved them away.

Maybe. Yes, yes and yes. But what was so wrong with taking advantage of her attention?

Eventually, she would get back with the cheating dick, and I would be a memory of a time where she'd temporarily lost her sanity.

I was cool with that.

Still, it felt like someone was crushing my chest. I ignored it.

"Axel?"

I tensed.

Bloody hell.

No. F*ck no.

I should have been paying attention, then I would at least have been able to slip away before she showed up.

"Hey, it's been a while." A pause, then, "Are you going to just ignore me?"

My jaw tensed. Slowly, I slid my gaze to Dakota Johnson.

She was standing next to me, tanned frame dressed in Reynard's black and red cheerleading outfit. On her, the red looked like blood. The breeze caught her blonde hair.

My voice was empty of emotion. "Go away."

She flinched, then folded her arms. "Really, Axel?"

My eyes slid away, searching the crowd for Asher. My entire body was bristling, as if it could somehow propel itself as far away from her as possible.

"Look, Axel, I just want to talk—"

I turned to her. "I don't want you."

She stiffened.

"Do I need to say it again?" I asked, my voice icy. "Leave me the f*ck alone."

Hurt seeped into her eyes.

Usually, I'd feel guilty. But, knowing her, it was an act. She liked to do that—play games. Screw with people's emotions.

Like when she'd told me she loved me, and then an hour later had been wrapped around another guy, half-naked.

My gaze slid away, to a football player with hazel eyes and blond hair standing in the distance. Laughing with his friends.

I stared at him as I spoke, "Look, there's someone for you to bother. You and Jake are friends, right?"

She paled.

"Don't talk to me again."

I strode past her, my gaze locking on Asher, who'd finally stepped out of the stadium.

I forced my lips into a grin, stretching my arms out. "Congratulations, bro!"

Asher blinked, his eyes meeting mine. His lips lifted slightly.

Huh, the Golden Boy was in a good mood.

"Hey Axe," he murmured.

I clapped a hand over his shoulder. "My football star brother, crushing the opposing team without mercy."

His smile widened slightly.

My grin grew. Seeing him happy was like someone injected me with rocket fuel.

 We moved towards my car. Strangers congratulated Asher as he passed. Asher tensed as he mumbled thank yous in response.

Asher was one of those guys who was too humble for his own good. He'd always been the shy one.

Thankfully, by the time we reached the car, Dakota had vanished. And Asher still looked happy-ish. Happy-ish was pretty much the best mood you could get out of the Golden Child.

"One thing I don't get," I started. "What is with the sweaters?"

Despite the fact that it was so hot that the cars looked like they were about to dissolve into puddles of goo, Asher was wearing a sweater. He always wore long sleeves, even when it was hot.

"You don't have a secret tattoo do you?" I teased.

I tugged at his sleeves, pretending I was checking for a tattoo.

Too fast, he yanked his arms away. "Stop it!" he snapped. He stared at me, eyes wide, body tense.

I held up my hands. "Okaaaay," I said. "No touching, I got it. Sorry kid."

Asher blinked, then deflated, shifting so his hair hid his eyes. "It's fine. Let's go," he mumbled. He slipped into the passenger seat without looking at me.

Okay, so Golden Boy's good mood is gone.

I exhaled, moving towards the driver's side. Way to screw things up Axel.

I slipped into my seat. Then froze.

Across the parking lot was a familiar set of curls.

Violet.

She was moving quickly towards the stadium building, nearly jogging.

My brows furrowed as I started to step out of the car. What was she—

The answer hit me like a hammer.

Why would a beautiful, talented girl show up at her ex's game?

It was so obvious that I felt stupid for not realising it earlier.

Hadn't I said this would happen? That eventually the perfect Violet Madison would go back to the boy she was in love with? That I would dissolve into a memory of temporary insanity?

That she was way too good for me?

Still, for some reason, my chest hurt.

I ignored it.

I'd been clinging to some idiotic hope. And now I needed to let go.

I shut the door and slid out of the parking lot.