Pre-Game 39: Leave

VIOLET

"It's a shame you're leaving so soon," Samantha said.

Dad shot her an incredulous look as he carried my last bag out of the house, placing it in the boot of Ken's car.

I tried to smile. "I really enjoyed staying here."

She pursed her lips.

"That's the last of it," Dad declared, shutting the boot.

Mom pressed her hands together, beaming. "Thank you." She was giddy, practically bouncing on her feet. She'd been glowing since they'd arrived to pick me up.

Dad stepped back, joining his family in front of the house. The Dawsons and I stood opposite them, in front of Ken's car.

An awkward silence descended.

"Thanks again for allowing Violet to stay here," Mom gushed.

Dad nodded, tucking his hands in his pockets. "You know it's no problem, Lyla. She's my daughter."

Silence.

Cole shifted on his feet, eyes flickering to the Nintendo DS clutched in his hands. I was pretty sure Hannah was texting without looking at her screen. And Alissa was losing the ability to act like she cared. Her eyes were fixed on a spot in the distance, her expression blank.

Ken cleared his throat. "Well, we should probably head out now."

The statement was followed by nods and murmurs.

Dad gave me a hug. "Stay safe sweetheart."

"You too, dad."

He stepped back. Then the Dawsons and I were slipping into the car, the breeze replaced by air conditioning, the front yard replaced by leather seats. Ken pulled away from the curb. I forced myself to wave at dad's family.

A moment later, we were leaving the cul-de-sac, the house vanishing behind us.

I smothered a sigh.

Mom turned around in her seat, her expression so bright it was blinding. "I'm so glad you're coming home!" She squeezed my hand. "Now our family's back together."

I smiled.

Her family.

Her family was back together.

"Yes, it's so great to have you back Violet." Ken shot me a grin in the rear-view mirror.

The gesture set my mom aglow. Her eyes flickered to Alissa. "You must be happy Alissa, now that Violet's coming home. I know you two are basically sisters."

Alissa's features were gentle, settled into that pleasant expression she reserved for mom and Ken. "Of course, I missed her a lot." Her eyes slid to me. Her smile thinned. "I'm so glad you're coming home Violet."

Liar.

I didn't hate my stepsister.

I had before, but since my feelings for Mark had dissolved, my hatred had been nullified into a pretty strong dislike.

I did not like Alissa Dawson. At all.

I could feel my mom's gaze on my face, so I smiled, and refocused my gaze ahead.

Mom started speaking, excited. I could barely hear her. My thoughts shifted to the future.

For the rest of the year, I would focus on school.

No more boys, no more love, no more lying.

And no more games.