Level 63: Prepare For Disaster

VIOLET

I was waiting outside the Dawson house gates when Brandt's car came into view. It was night, stars twinkling above, and more than anything I wished I was with Axel instead of going on another fake date.

It had been two weeks since I'd last seen either Brandt or Brielle. Brielle hadn't contacted Axel either. They'd basically vanished off the planet. Axel had been on edge the entire time. Knowing what she could do, we were both terrified.

A few hours ago, Brandt had texted me, saying we needed to attend a football team fundraiser at Reynard.

I knew that meant that Brielle was probably going to be there. And—since Asher was on the football team—Axel would be there too.

Brandt, suited, stepped out of the car, opening the door for me.

I approached the car reluctantly.

"Brielle knows about me and Axel," I blurted out when I reached him.

Brandt's expression didn't change. "I know."

I paused. "Then why...?"

"She confronted me about it." His gaze became unfocused, like he was remembering something. His lips twitched. "I told her I gave you permission." His eyes focused. "Besides, you bother her more now."

I stared. "You're—you're not going to release Alissa's video?"

"No." He inclined his head almost imperceptibly to the car.

I got in. He shut the door behind me.

"By the way," he said, as he got into the driver's seat, "Brielle's accompanying Axel."

My stomach sunk.

I could already tell that tonight was going to be a disaster.