Level 59: Witness A Disaster

VIOLET

Violet, stay away from Brielle, she's on the warpath.

—Axel

Brielle popped up in front of me. "Violet! So wonderful to see you."

I jumped, then fumbled for my phone, putting it away before she could see the screen. "H-h-hi B-brielle."

She smiled. This time I noticed how tight her features were. "Why don't we—"

Behind her, I spotted my mom, Ken and Alissa entering the conservatory.

"Sorry—my mom—I'll see you—I have to—later." I retreated, walking as quickly as I could away from her.

Brandt followed. I could have sworn his lips twitched up.

"Violet!" Mom beamed when she spotted me. She crossed the last few metres in my direction. "You look beautiful—" She noticed Brandt. "Oh, who is this?"

I froze. It hadn't occurred to me that eventually Brandt would meet my mom. Would I have to lie to her too? I swallowed. "This is—"

"I'm Violet's friend," Brandt said. He offered his hand. "Brandt Blondeau."

Mom smiled, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you." She gestured to Ken and Alissa, who'd strode up beside her. "This is my husband Ken, and my stepdaughter Alissa."

Brandt nodded in their direction.

"Lyla!"

We looked up. Across the conservatory, Kelsey Williams was standing next to Isabel Ryder, waving at mom.

Mom's eyes lit up. She squeezed my hand. "I'll see you later, sweetheart." She kissed my cheek before heading in their direction. Ken followed.

I felt my lips lift into a smile as mom approached them. She'd made friends.

"You're an a**hole for doing this," Alissa said.

I blinked, turning back to our group. Alissa was glaring at Brandt.

Brandt's expression didn't change. "True." He turned, and strode away.

Alissa glared after him for a moment, then she sighed. "If it wasn't for Lyla, I would just release the video."

I followed her gaze to mom, Kelsey and Isabel standing together.

"You're a good daughter," I said softly.

Alissa blinked at me, then stared at the grass, her cheeks heating.

The sound of metal against glass made both of us look up.

Vincent Ryder came up behind Isabel, tapping his glass. "Could everyone make their way to their seats please?"

Alissa glanced at me as the shuffle to tables began. "Where are you sitting?"

I looked at the programme I'd been given when Brandt and I entered. Table One. My heart sunk. Which meant sitting with Brandt, Axel and Brielle.

I showed her my card, trying for a smile. "See you later," I said.

"Good luck."

I was the last to approach my table. My eyes immediately glued onto Axel—the way the sunlight caught on the ends of his hair, the slight rumple in his shirt, his undone top button, the hint of a collarbone—

Stop staring!

I forced my gaze to the grass beneath my flats. Brandt pulled out a chair for me as I approached.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

I snuck a glance around the table. The Blondeau parents were sat together, still and poised. Kelsey was sat next to Emma. I was sat next to Asher, Axel on his other side. Followed by Brielle.

Strangely, though Axel had said she was on the warpath, Brielle didn't look angry. Her lips were pulled up into a bright smile, her gaze focused on Isabel and Vincent standing at the front of the room.

Once the last person had sat, Vincent took one of the two empty seats at our table. He reached for a glass of champagne, turning to watch his wife.

She was standing in front of a projection screen, her hands pressed together—she looked nervous.

"Thank you all for coming today," Isabel said. "I am grateful to my family for supporting this event—" her eyes fixed on Vincent, her face softening "—particularly my amazing husband."

Vincent smiled, lifting his glass.

Isabel straightened. "Being a teenager, transitioning from childhood to adulthood, can be so difficult, especially in this day and age. Our society needs to be more open about mental health and about addiction."

I snuck a glance at Asher, only to notice that Axel was already watching him. Axel caught my gaze, shooting me a wry smile, before his gaze returned to his mother.

A pang went through my chest.

"We are all so privileged. And, from this position of privilege, it is our duty to confront this issue, to help where we can," Isabel continued. "I've invited representatives of various charities to speak to us about the difficulties young people face—"

Her voice cut off as the projection screen behind her switched on. She frowned, her gaze flickering to Vincent. "What—"

A video came up on screen. Two bodies—

The sound of moans filled the room, blasted from the speakers.

Isabel stopped moving.

Vincent's glass slipped from his hand, shattering on the grass.

Gasps rippled through the guests as the faces of the bodies came into view.

Isabel stared at the screen, her face blank.

No way.

My eyes darted to Axel. His eyes were fixed on the screen, his face drained of blood.

And next to him—next to him, Brielle was grinning.