Level 65: Say Yes

VIOLET

"It's really over?" I asked as we stepped outside.

The blackmail. The threats. Axel having to do everything Brielle asked of him. Could it really be over?

Axel nodded. He still looked dazed. "It's over," he murmured.

I glanced back at the building. "Do you—do you want to wait for Asher?"

Axel shook his head. "No. He's strong enough to handle this," he said, almost wonderingly. "He doesn't need me."

I touched his cheek. "Are you okay?"

He nodded, and then he smiled, his eyes focusing on me. "Yeah. Yeah I am."

His hands grazed my face and my heartbeat skittered.

"Violet."

We both stiffened.

Brandt stood behind us. My heart sunk. I'd spoken too soon—it wasn't over.

Axel tensed, stepping in front of me. "If you—"

"I'm calling it off," Brandt interrupted.

I blinked.

"What?" Axel and I said at the same time.

"I've deleted the videos," Brandt said. "You're free."

I stared. "You deleted them?"

Axel's brows furrowed. "Why?"

"You two being together will piss her off more than anything else," Brandt said.

I noticed then that his expression was brighter than it usually was. His lips lifted into the smallest smile. Then he strode away.

I stared after him.

"It's really over," I breathed.

Axel nodded as he turned to me. "It's over," he echoed.

It felt weird. Like I'd slipped into new skin or something. My thoughts had been so focused on the blackmail—

"What do we do now?"

Axel blinked, then smiled. "Well, there was something I wanted to ask you. You know, now that you don't have a boyfriend."

I stared up at him, my brows furrowing. "What is it?"

"Violet Madison," Axel said, his voice soft, "will you be my girlfriend?"