Level 56: Talk

AXEL

Violet took a surprised breath, and then she kissed me back.

Her lips moved against mine, bubble-gum mint on my tongue. Her arms wrapped around me, fingers clutching my shirt.

I hadn't thought anything could top the fantasy of kissing Violet. But this...this was everything.

I buried my hand in her curls, the way I'd wanted to do since the first day we'd met. I pulled her closer, her body pressed against mine.

When we broke apart, I couldn't control my grin.

It fell when I saw her face.

She pressed her hands to her mouth, her eyes welling up.

"Violet?" My hands fell away. "I'm so sorry—I should have asked first—I didn't mean—"

I was such a bloody idiot—

She shook her head, the tears rolling faster. "You're with Brielle!" she croaked. "And I kissed you..."

I blinked. "Oh." Abruptly, I started laughing. "Oh."

Her eyes were wide. "Axel!"

My laughter dissipated. I remembered how upset she'd been when she'd caught Mark and her stepsister together.

"I'm sorry," I said softly. I brushed away a tear. "Please don't cry. It's not what you think."

Violet's face fell into her hands. "You're with her—"

I caught her hands. "We're not really together."

Violet blinked up at me. "What?"

A combination of excitement and anticipation avalanched inside me. She loved me. Violet loved me.

"We're not really together. Brielle, she's—"

My phone started ringing, the lyrics 'monster-monster-monster' playing on repeat.

I swore as I yanked it out. Brielle.

"We need to go back inside," I rushed out.

Violet was still staring up at me, confused.

The smart thing would be to step back, to head back into the cinema before Brielle decided to start searching. Because, if she found us here, together, then everything would fall apart.

But I couldn't bring myself to move.

I didn't want this moment to end.

My phone started ringing again.

I swore, then stepped back. "She's blackmailing me."

Violet's eyes widened. "What?"

"We don't have time," I rushed out. "We need to go in separately. I'll go first. When you go in, you have to pretend this never happened—"

My phone stopped, then started ringing again.

"Act normal." I stepped back. "3am. Meet me at the painting house. I'll explain everything."

Her eyes were still wide, but she was nodding. "O-okay."

I hesitated. Go, Axel. I pressed my lips to hers. I couldn't describe the emotion that buzzed through my entire being when she leaned into me.

"3 am," I repeated. Then, before I could give in to the urge to stay, I sprinted towards the front entrance.

*