Level 27: Confront The Ex

VIOLET

We slipped out of the party, navigating the lawn towards Axel's car.

I pulled Axel along behind me, loving the sensation of his hand woven into mine.

I felt like I was floating. Like my feet would never touch the earth.

"Violet?"

My steps faltered. Axel tensed.

The voice was so familiar. For two years, I'd loved listening to it.

I turned.

Mark was standing behind me, his features arranged into worry and confusion. A few metres behind him was Alissa, her arms crossed, her face tight.

"Mark."

Axel's hand slipped from mine. "I'll wait by the car."

A gust of wind hit me as he strode away.

I stared at his back, wishing I could follow.

"Violet."

My gaze returned to Mark.

His eyes flickered to Axel, then returned to me, his brows crumpling. He stepped forward. "What's going on with you?" He asked, his voice softer. "What's wrong?"

A surge of impatience ran through me. "Nothing's wrong."

And, for once, the statement was true.

The moment we'd walked out of that room, I'd felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest.

Mark waved his hand, gesturing to me. "This isn't you. The parties—the outfits—I mean, you're hanging out with Axel Ryder for goodness' sake. Do you even know who he is?"

Something about the way he said Axel's name made me bristle. "Frankly, what I do is none of your business."

Mark stepped closer. "I know that—but I care about you. And the way you've been acting the last few weeks—I'm worried. You're acting crazy."

I stepped back. "You mean I'm not acting how you expect."

I was so tired of expectations.

Mark shook his head. "Violet—you've been acting like a completely different person. I know it must have been hard to move here, for your mom to get married, but this isn't how to deal with it. I know that's probably why you broke up with me and—"

"I broke up with you because you cheated on me."

Mark and Alissa both froze.

Mark's eyes widened. "What?" he breathed.

"I saw you with Alissa," I said.

My voice was surprisingly calm. I'd thought saying the words would make me cry all over again, but—honestly?—it didn't even hurt. Not anymore.

Mark and Alissa both paled.

"And I was hurt. And I was angry. But now—"

I took in the both of them, standing there, faces blank with a mixture of shock and fear, frames frozen on the grass.

And a wave of relief rolled over me.

"Now I realize neither of you are worth my time."

I turned and walked away.

My eyes locked on Axel ahead, leaning against his car.

This—this was more important. This was worth it.

I didn't look back.

*

Thanks for reading :)