Level 43: Accidentally Cause A Disaster

VIOLET

"Are you okay, sweetheart?"

I blinked, looking up from my plate. Mom, Ken and Alissa were all staring at me.

It took me a second to remember where I was. In the dining room. Outside, the sky was dark. Evening. It was evening.

"I'm fine," I said. My voice came out rough. I cleared my throat and tried for a smile. "Sorry, sore throat."

Mom was still staring at me with concern. She reached across the table, squeezing my hand. "Are you sure you're okay honey?"

I smiled again. "I'm fine. Just tired."

She shared a look with Ken.

When had she started doing that? Confiding in him about me?

It was as if I'd fallen asleep and woken up to a completely different world.

"Were you saying something?" I asked.

Ken smiled. "I was just thinking that maybe we should take a family trip. Somewhere nice, like going back to the Bahamas." He shared a look with mom before smiling at me. "What do you think?"

Alissa's grip tightened around her fork. She smiled in my direction. "Violet spends so much time studying. She barely has time for anything else. I doubt she would like the interruption."

"Alissa's right. You do study a lot sweetie," Mom said. "But maybe a break would be good?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

Mom frowned. She glanced again at Ken.

Stop doing that.

Ken cleared his throat, offering me a smile. "You must be happy, Violet. You probably saw your boyfriend at school today—Mark? He's from a nice family—"

"They broke up," Alissa interrupted.

Ken blinked. My mom's eyes widened.

Her head whipped to me. "You two broke up? When?"

I shrugged. "A few months ago."

Her face fell. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It never came up."

Mom shared another look with Ken. I stabbed a piece of fish.

"Did anything happen?" Ken attempted.

"We just..." I didn't want to talk about this. "We just didn't see eye to eye."

Alissa snorted. "Not sure what that means."

Ken shot her a look. "What?"

"He did pretty much everything you asked him to," Alissa said.

I flexed my jaw.

Is she serious right now?

Mom glanced between the two of us.

Alissa continued, "He was practically your pet. He basically begged you to take him back. What exactly didn't you see eye to eye on?"

"Him cheating on me with you," I snapped.

Silence.

I froze. Did I say that out loud?

Alissa paled.

"He did what?" mom whispered.

I swallowed. "I..."

What did I just do?

"He cheated on you with Alissa?" Ken said, his face blank. He looked at Alissa. "Is that true?"

Alissa blinked rapidly. "Dad—"

"You were with your stepsister's boyfriend?" he said, his voice still quiet.

"Dad—"

Ken's voice loudened. "Is it true?"

Alissa's face crumpled. "I'm sorry," she croaked.

Ken dragged his hands over his face. "Oh my..."

"Dad—"

"Go to your room."

Alissa stood, stepping towards him. "Dad, I—"

"Go to your room Alissa!"

I flinched.

Alissa's eyes watered. She stormed out.

Ken looked at me. "I am so sorry, Violet. I didn't think she would ever do something like that. I didn't raise her to be a..." he scowled.

Mom's eyes were wet. "Is that why you left?" She rounded the table, squeezing me into a hug. "You poor thing, I had no idea—"

Ken stood. "I'm sorry." His face was grey. "I'm going to speak to her."

Mom was murmuring assurances to me, but I couldn't hear her.

All I could see was Alissa's fragmented expression.

I could hear fissures splitting down the centre of mom's perfect family.

I'd messed up.

And I couldn't take it back.

*

Thank you for reading :)