Level 64: Listen To The Truth

AXEL

My family arriving to the football dinner in separate cars was a confirmation that the last two weeks had actually happened. I watched from my car as Vincent's Mercedes arrived, fifteen minutes before mom arrived in Asher's car.

Mom and Asher stepped out. Vincent—who'd probably watched them park—did the same. I watched him approach them.

Maybe another family wouldn't have shown up to the football dinner, after everything that had happened, but it had been scheduled months ago. And Asher—Asher—was the one thing that held us together. No matter how everyone felt, we all loved Asher.

I shifted my gaze to the night sky, pierced with stars.

I did not want to be here.

If I could be anywhere, I would be at the painting house with Violet. And we would be eating fast food and pretending the world outside didn't exist.

I sighed, then got out of the car.

Two hours. Two hours and this would be over.

By now Vincent had reached them. There was a clear chasm between him and mom. He was saying something, but I couldn't hear his words as I approached.

The students and parents filtering around the cars glanced in their direction. A girl I recognised from school giggled, whispering to her mother.

I glared at her.

Her laughter died. She paled.

"I'm here for Asher," I heard mom say. "I do not want to speak to you."

Vincent's face fell. "Isabel—"

"Axel," Asher said, noticing me.

Mom blinked, her eyes darting in my direction. Her face softened. "Axel—" Then her brows furrowed. She walked towards me. It was only when she touched my jaw that I realized what she was staring at. "What happened? Where did you get this bruise?"

I blinked. She was talking to me.

My eyes flickered to Vincent. He'd paled.

He cleared his throat. "He fell."

I rolled my eyes. Wow. Great excuse. He would have been better off not saying anything.

Mom glanced at him, confused. He shifted, moving his arm. Her eyes dipped to his knuckles. They were bruised, a fading yellow. Her face went blank.

Her voice was deathly soft, "Did you hit my son?"

Asher blinked, his eyes snapping to Vincent. "You hit Axel?"

Vincent shifted. "It was an accident—"

"You piece of—" Mom's face went red, then blue.

Alarm ran through me. "Mom?"

Asher caught mom's hand. "Mom—why don't we go inside?"

She dragged in a breath, then followed Asher. She clutched my hand as she passed. "Come on Axel."

I felt my chest inflate. I nodded, trailing behind her.

When a body slammed into me.

"Axel!" Brielle pulled back, her arms still wrapped around me. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

And I thought tonight couldn't get any worse.

Mom released my hand reluctantly. "We'll see you inside." She glared at Vincent. "Stay away from him."