Level 54: Wonder How You Got Here

AXEL

Violet and Brandt.

The entire journey, my mind replayed their entry. Replayed him sliding his hand into hers. Replayed the moment he'd introduced the girl I loved to my mother. As his girlfriend.

How long had they been together? Since the party? Before that?

I'd thought Brielle had invited Violet over because she wanted to torture me. But what if Violet hadn't been there for me in the first place? What if she'd been there for Brandt?

The image of them standing together was lodged in my brain.

They'd looked perfect together.

Brandt was handsome. He rarely spoke, but I knew he was smart. Maybe as smart as Violet was. Why wouldn't she like him?

The car came to a stop.

I glanced up. "This isn't home."

We were parked outside my apartment.

Brielle slid out of the car. "Get out."

The buzz from the alcohol was fading, replaced by an exhaustion that settled like concrete over my bones. I didn't bother arguing. She probably wanted to yell at me without the chance of my parents hearing.

Just get it over with.

I unlocked the front door, striding inside. The lights switched on automatically.

It had been months since I'd last been here. My eyes slid to the island counter. Violet and I had talked there. I'd drawn her while she'd sat on that couch. I'd watched her study, the way her brows crumpled when she was reading—

Brielle stepped into my view. "Are you listening to me?"

I didn't want Brielle here.

This place was perfect, preserved. It hadn't changed. And now Brielle was tainting it with her presence. I could almost see the veins of poison seeping into the walls.

"What?"

Her hand ran up my jaw. "I said, you screwed up today."

My skin crawled where she touched it. I stiffened, forcing myself not to flinch away.

She continued, "But I'll let you make up for it."

My stomach sunk. Her idea of 'making up for it' was bound to be something repulsive.

She kissed me.

I pulled away. "What the hell are you doing?"

There was no one around to pretend for.

"Giving you a chance to make up for it," she said.

I stepped back. "I'm good."

Her eyes narrowed. "Axel."

"No."

Her voice lowered. "Do you really want one of those videos to get out? It would take me literally one second to send it to everyone in this shitty town."

I froze. "Why are you doing this?"

None of this made sense. She couldn't just be evil, could she? What the hell was the point of this?

She stopped in front of me. "Kiss me, Axel."

The gamemaster makes all the rules.

The players, they were screwed.

I kissed her.

"You can do better than that," she murmured against my mouth.

I moved my mouth against hers. I let her wrap her arms around me, let her fingers go through my hair. When her fingers inched beneath my shirt, vomit rose up my throat.

"Axel?"

I pulled away.

Asher blinked at us from the doorway to his room. His eyes widened. "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt—"

Brielle scowled. "Couldn't you see we were busy?"

"Don't talk to him like that," I snapped.

Asher started to step back. "I'll just—"

Panic jolted through me. "No, it's okay, come on, we haven't hung out all day."

Brielle glared at me, "Axel—"

I hooked my arm over Asher's shoulder and pulled him into the room. Mentally, I thanked him for being home. "There's that new series mom likes."

I could feel Brielle's glare boring into the back of my head, but I ignored it. I switched on the television.

"Let's watch it."

*

Macey was staring at me, her forehead wrinkled with concern. "You said she searches your phone?"

"Yep."

I was too exhausted to put any effort into the word. I stared out the window, watching birds swoop through the sky, wings shadowed against the sun.

"She calls you names—idiot?"

"Yep."

"She slapped you?"

"Yep."

"She forced you to kiss her?"

"Yep."

When Macey didn't respond, I turned my gaze from the window to her.

Several new wrinkles appeared on her forehead. "Her behaviour is abusive, Axel."

"She's a b*tch." I shrugged. "Besides—girls can't be abusive."

Macey looked exasperated. "Yes, Axel, they can. Relationship abuse can come from anyone in a relationship, regardless of gender."

"It's not like it's a real relationship."

She stared at me, intent. "Axel—things like this, abusive relationships in general, they only get worse the longer you do nothing. She could seriously hurt you."

I turned back to the birds. "I doubt it."

She sighed.

My lips twitched up. Even that took too much effort. "You seem annoyed."

She straightened her sweater. "Why don't we talk about something else?"

"Sure," I drawled.