Game Over 34: Forget About Happily Ever Afters

AXEL

Through the windows, I could see birds swerving through the sky, feathers glimmering in the light of the sun. It almost looked like their wings were on fire.

I wondered what class would be in here later. I wasn't even sure what subject was taught in this room. It didn't really matter I guess.

Asher probably had practice after school. He'd stayed at the main house last night. Mom and Dad wouldn't be there. Dad had whisked mom away on a holiday. They wouldn't be returning for a few days.

Mom was always extra peppy after holidays.

The sound of the door opening made me look up.

I sighed. I didn't have the strength for this today. "What do you want Dakota?"

Dakota crossed the room towards me, brows furrowing. "Are you okay Axel? You look off—did something happen?"

She had phenomenal timing. Of all the moments to show up—

She touched my chest, stepping closer to me. "Axe, tell me what happened."

Axe.

I stepped back. "Go away."

That look of false hurt flashed over her features. "Why are you so cruel, Axel? One minute we're together—the next you're treating me like I'm a monster."

"I am not in the mood." I strode towards the door.

Home. I wanted to go home.

But not the apartment. There was too much there that would remind me— The main house. I'd head to the main house.

"What exactly did I do?" Dakota asked, exasperated. "What warrants you ignoring me for two months?"

I was so tired of this sh*t.

"You slept with Jake."

She froze, the blood draining from her face.

I couldn't be bothered to smirk, to pretend. "I don't care about you. And I don't want you coming near me again."

I didn't look back.

The moment I was in my car, I turned the radio up to its maximum volume. I barely paid attention as I drove. A few moments later, I was parked in front of the main house.

I stepped out of the car, climbing the stairs to the front door.

Hopefully Asher was still in there.

I opened the door and froze.

Chaos.

The floor was splattered with blood, small white pills strewn over the tiles.

Standing at the centre of it all was Asher.

Horror tore through me as my eyes locked on his arms—bare for once.

Were those—

Asher's eyes flashed to me, widening. "Axel," he croaked.

I sprinted to him. "What the hell happened?" I demanded. "Who did this?" My gaze darted across the room, searching— I turned to stone.

There was a knife on the floor.

Asher was trembling.

The truth slowly dawned on me.

There's no one else in the house.

"Asher," I whispered.

His trembling worsened. His face crumbled. "You have no idea," he choked out, his chest quaking. "You have no idea how hard it is to play the perfect son. You have no idea what's it like having to pretend all the time." Tears streamed down his face. "I can't do it Axel—I can't do it anymore. I'm so bloody tired."

I couldn't speak. I could barely think.

"I feel so alone," he sobbed.

My heart broke for the second time today.

I wrapped my arms around him, pulling my twin into a hug. "It's okay Ash," I murmured. "It's okay."

The entire time he'd been struggling...

And I hadn't even noticed.

Asher's body shook with sobs.

I'd failed him.

The sound of an engine sliced through the air. Asher stiffened.

Mom and Dad.

They were early.

Asher pulled back, expression dissolving into pure terror. "They're going to see," he choked out. He started shaking, heaving as if he couldn't breathe. "They're going to see."

"No," I said, making my decision, "they're not."

Asher's eyes flashed to me.

I glanced at the door. "Go to your room."

He stared at me. "What are you going to do?"

You're a bad person Axel.

She was right.

I was Axel Ryder.

The Bad Twin. The town of Reynard's most infamous screw-up. And, according to my dad, pretty damn worthless.

And I was okay with that.

But I was also Asher's older brother. And maybe that seven-and-a-half minute difference meant nothing to some people, but to me it meant it was my job to protect him.

"Go to your room Asher."

Asher stared at me with wide eyes, then he finally jerked his head into a nod and sprinted up the stairs.

I could hear the sound of voices beyond the door. Mom's laughter. Dad's responses.

I stood in the centre of the front room, taking in the chaos.

It was funny. For a moment there, I thought I'd get a happy ending.

The door swung open.