Dragons vs. Nightmares Ch. 3.2

"Tell me that you remember," Morgan whispered into Alex's ear, his breath hot and sticky, as he clamped her against his chest, forearm hard against her throat.

"I remember," Alex whimpered. She grasped his sweaty forearm in a vain attempt to budge it a centimeter so she could breathe better.

"Tell me," Morgan said, his low tone deep and threatening. "Tell me what you are."

"Just street trash," Alex eplied.

"What did I do?"

"You rescued me," Alex said, her eyes frantic, searching for the elusive memories.

"Tell me more." The knife sliced down her chest, not deep enough to kill her, just enough to inflict searing pain.

Alex sobbed in pain before gasping, "Twice. You rescued me twice."

"Tell me all of it. Tell me what they did to you. Tell me how your powers work."

"Please, give me a hint," Alex begged. "Maybe it'll trigger my memory. Please!"

Her plea ended in a cry of pain. And despair. She knew what came next when she couldn't answer Morgan's questions.

***

Get up, a small, calm voice in Alex's mind urged, someone needs your help.

It did that with annoying frequency, but Alex was grateful this time for the interruption of her nightmare.

Someone needs your help, the calm voice insisted, dragging Alex from the warm pit of sleep.

With an inward groan, Alex opened her eyes. A jolt of panic from the unfamiliar surroundings swept the last scraps of sleep clinging to her mind.

Was Morgan really here?

She scanned the room. The familiar figures asleep on a bed triggered her memory. The brothers slept together in a big puppy pile, sprawled every which way.

Get up, the calm voice nagged. Get up and look.

She slipped off the couch and knelt next to the bed. Gabe was on the outer edge of the heap. His brothers' instincts made them withdraw from the colder body.

"Gabe?" she whispered.

No response. She placed her hand on his.

Cold.

Two ectothermic brothers weren't enough to keep him warm. She forced her hand into a feeble glow that only lasted a few minutes before winking out. Gabe's eyes opened and his expression was somber.

"You shouldn't do that. You don't have energy to spare," Gabe said.

"Yes, Mother. How do you feel?"

"Cold."

"Move over," Alex said in her best command voice. She slid beside him, rolled on her side, and pressed her back to him. She had gone from sleeping alongside one dragon to all three.

Perfect. The old saying about a slippery slope is true.

"We're both tired and cold," Alex said. "Sleep. But remember: next to, never with, me."

"Always," he sighed and relaxed against her.

It felt like a soft leather jacket curled around her and kept away the monster called Morgan.

*****

A/N

I finally learned how to add YouTube videos!
Dedicated to IceRequiem
Thanks for the OST !
Thanks also AngelEditor  for her support
DianaTheThird
Her story Betrayal of the Guardians was chosen to be a featured story AND made it to the Wattpad List! Congrats DianaTheThird
!