Teaser Ch. 6.3

After walking home, Alex and the brothers piled into her apartment.

"I really don't want to spend the night by myself in my apartment after seeing Morgan," Alex whispered to Gabe as she shelved books.

I can't believe I'm inviting him to spend the night! What will he think? Sleep next to or with ? I'm an idiot! A promiscuous idiot!

Gabe placed a hand on her shoulder and whispered back, "You are breathing harder and your eyes are starting to jiggle. You must be very frightened of being alone here. I will stay."

Alex relaxed her shoulder under his touch and slowed her breathing. "These are pretty sturdy," she said in a regular tone of voice for the brothers to hear. She tugged on a shelf to illustrate.

"That's because Cale didn't build them," Rile said.

"The Creator of All endowed us with different talents," Cale said calmly. "Thank you for paying for the movie, Alex. I enjoyed it and the popcorn that they sold there."

"Since you are so polite, I'll spring for another trip. Take rude dragon boy with you. He needs a chaperone in life. Buy enough popcorn to stuff his mouth."

"Impossible," Cale said.

"Hey," Rile said.

"You deserved it after the building comment," Alex said. She dug in her jeans and counted from the folded bills. "Enough for two tickets, popcorn, and bottled water. Don't drink soda, that stuff is poison."

"Thank you, but we won't take money from you. You know Rile will try soda now," Cale said but Rile accepted the money.

"I'm not giving you money. Y'all earned it by helping me move and bargain for furniture. And maybe Rile will  learn to listen to me once he's poisoned." Alex blew a kiss at Rile's glare. "We won't let you die, Guardian of the universe."

She watched as Cale and Rile walked out the door. "They grow up so fast and leave home."

"What?" Gabe asked, eye ridges knit together in confusion.

"Never mind. It's my weird sense of humor. Do you want to move the rest of Dr. Dewey's boxes against the wall or into his garage? Or help me shelve the rest of the books?"

"I'll move them against the wall. Rile can move them into the garage next time he makes an inappropriate comment."

Alex snickered and picked up a book. "Do you mind sleeping here tonight? Seeing Morgan is sure to trigger worse nightmares." She shelved it, concentrating on the book's title so that she didn't see Gabe's face.

"I don't mind. If he's tracking you, it's better that I'm on the couch."

Alex's shoulders slumped, partially in relief and partially in disappointment.

*****

Once all the books were shelved and the boxes stacked, Alex stretched. "That's it, I'm off to bed. Let me find you a blanket."

"Thank you. Without my brothers to keep me warm, I grow cold quickly."

Alex handed him the ugly brown and burnt orange afghan. "Ah, memories. Too bad this thing is hideous. Thanks again. Should I stay on the couch with you?"

"No, I'll be fine. I'm not sedated with human drugs and it would be inappropriate. Good night." Gabe threw the afghan over his long legs.

Memories of soft leather hide and safety, but that's over. Time to fight and die. Quickly now. Morgan is closing in. Gabe can't stop him. Cale can't find him. Time is running out.

Alex changed into her pajamas and pulled the covers over her head. With sleep came the nightmares.

*****

A/N : Can you believe Gabe took the couch???  Do you think Alex should have been more forward? Or should she give up?

Dedicated to --nemo--

The first person to dedicate a chapter to me!

She's written the sweetest werewolf novel withOUT the disturbing abusive males that are a Wattpad cliche.  Wonder Woman and I are pleased