No Hope Ch. 9.1

Their walk in the New Orleans night was warm and humid, but the fragrance of evening primrose occasionally wafted on the slight wind. Once they reached the carriage house, Alex took lead on the stairs, with Rile following close behind. She unlocked her front door and found Gabe and Cale waiting for them.

"Well?" Gabe asked.

"No Morgan," Alex said. "Had fun beating up a mugger."

Rile shrugged.

"Thanks for walking me home." Alex hugged Rile, who froze in shock. She whispered in his tympanum, "You can't stop Morgan. No hope."

Gabe and Cale wore similar expressions of surprise.

Is it because of the hug or did they hear me?

Alex shrugged, hands up at shoulder level. "What? Bonding over beating up a mugger. Isn't that manly? Or is that Agama-ly in your case? I'm tired and want to sleep more than three hours, so I'm off to bed now."

"My brothers were just leaving," Gabe said.

"No we weren't," Rile said.

Cale dragged Rile out, although Rile looked over his shoulder at Alex.

Gabe regarded Alex somberly. "If you're going to sleep, stay with me on the couch. You know I'll act honorably. I heard you last night. Despair is a worse enemy than Morgan."

"I don't have any hope, but I'd like some sleep. I can sleep sitting up. You?"

"Perfectly."

Gabe sat on the corner of the couch and waited. Alex retrieved the brown and burnt orange afghan and sat next to him. She threw the ugly blanket over both of them and laid her head on Gabe's shoulder.

When Alex felt consciousness slipping away, she said, "Despair isn't the enemy. Hope is. It hurts when it dies."

She fell asleep before he could reply.

****

In the morning, Alex slowly floated back to consciousness and realized something was different.

Not different bad. Different good.

Her confused mind tried to pull together the shards of what had happened.

Dragons? Lizards? Morgan's following me!

Alex gasped and sat straight up. She pulled away from Gabe and stared at him.

Not Morgan. Gabe.  Helped get rid of Morgan. Once.

Gabe held out his hands. "Friend, right?"

Alex ran her hand through her hair and rubbed the scar on her head. "I don't have any friends, but I helped you and you helped me. Shouldn't your brother show up about now and do something obnoxious that triggers me blasting him?"

"As you humans say: that's on him."

"I'm debating between unlocking my door and leaving it locked so the show can continue another morning," Alex said.

"You decide," Gabe said. "Cale could use the practice wrestling Rile. He's motivated to help you and that improves his skills."

"Silly Agama," Alex said. "I'll make pancakes and boudin after I wash my face."

*****

The hissing and wrestling began outside Alex's door halfway through the first batch of pancakes. She grinned at Gabe and timed four minutes. Then she walked to the door.

She wrenched it open and said, "Good morning."

Cale and Rile froze and stared at her.

"Please come in. Pancakes aren't done."

"I will finish the pancakes. You have work this morning," Cale said.

"Thank you. I'll finish getting ready."

Cale had set four plates of pancakes and boudin on the table by the time Alex came out.

"What's all over your face?" Rile demanded.

"Make-up," Alex replied. "Tedious to apply, but human males prefer it, especially on their prey. If Morgan doesn't follow me, it might attract some muggers." Alex sat at the table and attacked her boudin.

"After we shadow you back from work tonight, we must patrol," Gabe said.

"I won't wait up," Alex said.

"I'm shadowing you today," Cale said.

"Don't screw up," Rile told his middle brother.

Alex shot Rile a warning look. "He has a recliner. You don't."

"That was for being cute. Shadows aren't supposed to be cute. This is about killing Morgan."

"Stopping Morgan," Cale said.

Alex put down her fork. "Time to go, cute one." She picked up her regular handbag.

*****

A/N: Alex has given up, but the brothers haven't! Who do you think can take Morgan down?

Dedicated to IceRequiem

He created an awesome OST for me and as soon as my friend makes a YouTube video, I can link it! It's perfect! His book [I can't spell it] is great sci-fi as well

Grlgonegrey
And the song to
DerangedBlueCat