Brother vs. Brother Ch. 5.1

AN: Added to this chapter, thanks to @AngelEditor and EvelynHail

*****

At the carriage house apartment, Gabe squared off against Rile.

"You hurt Alex, insulted her honor, and all she did was help me. What's your problem?"

"I apologized." Rile examined his claws one by one, ignoring his oldest brother glaring at him.

"Why did you say it in the first place?"

"Stop the interrogation. I'm not in the mood." Rile turned in clear dismissal.

"Leave her alone."

"Will you leave her alone now that you've recovered?" Rile turned back and asked with a sneer.

Gabe picked up his staff.

Rile snatched his. "That must be a no. Guess the rules are different here on Earth than on Olam? The untouchable Clan Heir can snuggle now?"

Gabe launched a series of strikes at his youngest brother. First the classic overhead that Rile blocked so Gabe turned it into a wide sweep. Rile nimbly jumped over the sweeping staff and followed with a quick side swipe.

"Must be the 'sleeping next to, not with' angle," Rile called out as he parried each strike. He thrust forward but Gabe sidestepped it. They were still exchanging blows when Alex and Cale entered.

"Is this about something specific or a pre-dinner warm up?" Alex asked.

Cale held the bags of Chinese food and rolled his eyes when he saw his brothers fighting.

"Good thing I don't have much furniture. Well? Will someone answer me? Please ? "Alex asked.

"He insulted your honor," Gabe said, gaze fixed on Rile, staff held in defensive posture.

"I already took care of that," Alex said. "Sweet that you care. Now stand down, both of you. Waste of energy fighting a battle that I already won."

Cale walked between his brothers as a barrier, his expression one of 'cut the crap NOW'. "Food. Sit down at the table."

"You're braver than me standing between those two," Alex said. "I'll find the forks."

"I use chopsticks," Rile said.

"Yay for you, Dragon Boy," Alex said. "I'm too hungry."

Alex opened all the containers and set them in the middle of the table. The brothers sat at the table with much glaring between Gabe and Rile. She placed the mismatched plates in front of each brother and stuck a serving spoon in the center of each container. Everyone received a plastic tumbler of ice water and Alex sat down.

"Please help yourselves," she said.

"I'll pray," Cale said. "Creator of All, thank you for this food and for our new ally, Alex. Let us not waste our strength fighting each other, but use it in service to You today and always."

"He usually sneaks a verbal spanking in those prayers," Rile said. "Maybe I was using my strength in service to the Creator by teaching Gabe a lesson."

"I can't complain since I was mentioned in a positive way, Lizard Boy," Alex said. She helped herself to each of the containers. "Have you eaten crawfish yet? I promised Cale a crawfish lunch if he helped me rig up a shower."

"We haven't. I'm building bookcases for you tomorrow," Gabe said.

"You're in, then," Alex said.