Learning from Dragons Ch. 10.2

Alex spent the next day cleaning the carriage house apartment and organizing her books.  The agency hadn't called, but she wasn't worried yet. That new, doe-eyed receptionist at the doctor's office couldn't last more than a week. They would want her back and Alex felt somewhat comfortable returning after an absence. She had never returned to a temp job. Maybe Morgan knew that, if he had tracked her all this time. If so, she might be safer returning.

While Alex was lost in her musings, she heard a voice call out. She looked out into the living room.

"You're late for your lesson and Gabe is so angry. Just when he thought you were reliable."

Alex looked so dismayed that Rile smirked, and then she knew that he was teasing her.

"You should want me to be late for my lessons.  It won't be long before I learn to kick your hide without blasting it," she said.

"Anytime, anywhere, you can try," he said, smug as he led the way. 

Alex was tempted to sting his rear, but decided that she would be at a distinct disadvantage in the narrow room for an impromptu fight.

"Hang on a minute. Before we start sparring, tell me, why do you bother?" Rile asked.

"Bother sparring? Or something else?" Alex replied.

"Why do you bother to learn any of this? Sparring, fighting, combat? why?"

"To hurt the bad guys," Alex said.

Rather obvious.

"You're a crusader, a martyr in training," Rile said.

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"Dying is easy. Does that make it good?"

"If I take down the bad guys with me, then yes."

Is he becoming more obvious?

"How gallant, how heroic. You die fighting the forces of evil. Then what? Evil is all gone?" Rile sneered.

"You think that I can destroy all the evil by living? Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence, Rile," Alex sneered back. "Besides, everyone dies. There's always someone to take up the good fight."

"If all you want is to have a glorious death, you need to let Gabe and Cale know. I don't think they took you for the suicidal type."

"Gabe knows. I guess that makes you more perceptive than Cale, though," Alex said.

"You won't live long enough to make a difference."

Alex sighed. "Have you ever heard the sappy starfish story? Guy walks down the beach, throwing starfish back into the sea. Hundreds of starfish and he can't throw them all back. Some guy, smart mouth like you, says he's not making a difference. Guy throws a starfish back and says 'Made a difference to that one.'"

"He's just hoping it does. Last night, at your challenge," Rile said. "You could have won."

"Another vote of confidence? Who are you and what have you done with Rile?" Alex asked.

"You failed to press your advantages," Rile continued. "You weren't fighting for your life. It was a game to you, a contest or a scene from a cheesy swashbuckler."

"Yes, it was a contest. You want to fight to the death? I'm game," Alex said.

"What if it hadn't been a game to me? What if I had wanted you dead?"

"Then I would have pressed my advantages. Like I have every night for the past few months of my life."

"I don't believe you. You're soft-bellied and believe in fairness and compassion."