Alex Awakens Ch. 3.3

"Isn't this a nice sight?" Rile propped up on one elbow in the bed, huge grin on his face and gazing down at Alex.

"Get away from me!" Alex shot out of bed and lit her hand. It sizzled with white welder fire. She backed to the wall and edged to the door. "What are y'all?"

"It's all right," Gabe said. "Don't be alarmed. Stay calm."

"You'll get nothing from me," Alex snarled. Her unlit hand found the doorknob and she turned it. "If you took anything from me, you'll pay in blood and pain."

"Please, don't leave." Gabe made calming motions with his hands. "We didn't take anything from you."

"Don't you remember?" Rile demanded.

Welder fire arced across the room and the brothers scrambled behind the bed to avoid the blast.

"Don't tell me to remember!" Alex shouted.

"You helped my brother." Cale peeked over the edge of the mattress.

"I did?" Alex dropped her hand from the doorknob but her other hand stayed lit, fiery sparks dripping and hissing to death on the floor.

"You saved his life." Cale stood up with caution, holding his hands out with the palms up, a universal sign of friendliness and his brothers followed suit.

"It wasn't that extreme. I was not helpless," Gabe hissed and Cale nudged him.

"Great golden pride pinched?" Rile laughed.

Gabe hissed again as he tackled his youngest, impudent brother. Alex let the light from her hand die as she watched them wrestle.

"Brothers, really? We're attempting to talk down a powerful alien female who was just crackling with power and you're wrestling like juveniles." Cale shook his head.

"She likes me and in a few moments she'll recall that," Gabe said as he pinned Rile's torso. "And there was mutual saving."

"She only needed help because she was saving your hide." Rile laughed as he sidled free.

Alex rubbed her forehead. "There was a fight... men with tranquilizer guns, right ?"

"That's right," Cale said, hands still up. "Please ignore my idiot brothers."

"Cale?" Gabe trapped Rile in a head lock. "Did you call me an idiot?"

"You're acting like one," Cale replied. "Why don't you act like our eldest brother and Clan Head instead?"

Rile slid out of the head lock.

"Don't move," Gabe ordered his youngest brother. "Alex, is your memory refreshed now?"

"Yes, may I use your bathroom?" she asked. "Is that the door over there?"

"Yes. Do you need help?" Cale asked.

"No! I mean, no thank you," Alex said.

She dashed into the bathroom, uneasy at the look in Rile's eyes. As she washed her face in the sink, she wasn't sure if she wanted to hear what they were saying to each other or not. She decided that ignorance was bliss and scrubbed her face harder, despite the pain.

***

A/N: Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed the story! I decided to publish two short chapters as teasers before my scheduled update on Friday. I'll see how it works. Who's your favorite brother so far?