The Search for Cale Begins Ch. 11.3

Rile and Alex came back at midnight to find Gabe curled on the kitchenette floor by the oven set on 450 degrees. In alarm, Alex started to lunge for him, but Rile held her back.

"He's fine," Rile said.

Gabe jumped to his feet. "I was just a tiny bit cold since I'm alone, that's all."

Rile huffed. "It's not weakness to need body heat, Perfect Eldest Son. Where's Cale?"

"Not here. I thought he met up with you."

Alex shook her head, chewing her lip in thought. "Any of the movies he would have seen should be over by now."

Gabe sheathed his sword and staff that had been lying by him. "Let's go. Which movie theatre, Alex?"

"I bought him a refillable popcorn bucket and a loyalty card to Grand Slam, so probably there."

Alex started to lead the way, but Rile soon shouldered past her. Alex rolled her eyes when he bumped her arm. When they arrived at the darkened theatre, Gabe knelt on one knee on the sidewalk, leaned forward with one hand on the concrete to stabilize himself, and inhaled.  He shook his head.

Rile tapped Alex. "Cover me." He trotted further down the sidewalk before bending and sniffing.   He also knelt on one knee and leaned forward, sniffing.  He cast about in a semi-circle before inching forward, still scenting the concrete. Alex drew her staff and kept beside him, fierce expression on her face so no one would interfere. Not that anyone in New Orleans would give them much more than a second glance, unless some S&M guy wanted in on what he figured was domi-matrix activity.

Rile stiffened, obviously catching Cale's scent, and he stood, but bent over. He hurried on the trail, Gabe close behind.

"Look!" Alex darted down a side alley, pointing at a small white object on the ground. She picked it up and showed it to them. The bent plastic bucket displayed a picture of popcorn and "Rile, share this with Cale" hand-lettered on the bottom.

"Cale's scent ends here as well." Rile turned the bucket over and over. "Probably entered a car."

"Or taken in a van," Alex said.

"Home," Gabe ordered. "We'll plan our attack on Hermann's lab."

"The two of you are not attacking a secure lab," Alex said. "That's suicide and it won't free Cale." When Gabe opened his mouth, expression furious, she held up a hand. "Reconnaissance and infiltration, Guardian of the Universe. Surely you use such methods on your home world. And if not, then as a Guardian when you want to help on alien worlds?"

Gabe clamped his mouth shut and Rile grinned.

"I'll ask Dr. Dewey if he can find out who Hermann's lab assistants are, the best and most trusted," Alex said. "I have ways to infiltrate as well." At Gabe's stubborn look, she added, "Give me two days, please. You can plan all you want with Rile."

Rile rolled his eyes. "Thanks ever so much, Alex."

"I said home." Gabe's tone silenced even Rile and they followed him.

***

The sun was barely over the horizon when Rile uncoiled with a sigh from his fidgeting brother. He stood up, picked up his staff, and twirled it a few times.

"Get up, Gabe. You kept me awake for hours. Give me the key to Alex's apartment and I'll get her started talking about her plan."

Gabe sat up in bed and stretched his golden wings. "You dare to awaken Alex? In the morning, no less?"

"Why do you think I have my staff?"

"You'll jab her with a staff?"

"And duck." Rile held out his hand. "The key, please."