Mimosas and Desertion Ch. 17.2

Alex came out of her bedroom to find pancakes, boudin, and glasses of orange juice set on the table. When she sipped the orange juice, her expression lightened.

"Mimosas! Who thought of that?"she asked and took another sip.

"Me," Rile said with pride.

"Major brownie points." She winked at him.

"You didn't think Perfect Eldest Son or the priestly one would think of it, did you?"

"Priests on Earth drink. They don't on Olam?" She smiled at Cale, who lifted his chin at his youngest brother.

"He still didn't think of it," Rile said with a trace of sullenness.

"And he's not perfect," Gabe added.

"I'm not perfect," Cale said with patience. "Priests drink on Olam. Wine is proof that the Creator of All loves us."

"Excellent proof," Alex said. "Where are my pain pills?"

"Are they safe with alcohol?" Gabe looked at the counter.

Alex saw the two pill containers on the counter. "Yes, father. They aren't narcotics. May I have one now?"

"I'll get you one," Rile said.

"No, I will," Gabe said.

"Girls, girls, you're both pretty. I'll get it myself." She pushed away from the table and winced.

Rile and Gabe both headed for the pill bottles. Cale stayed seated and offered Alex a platter of boudin. She gingerly scooted back to the table and accepted it. She placed boudin on both her plate and his.

"I said that I would get it." Gabe blocked Rile.

"Who says that I care what you say?" Rile balanced himself for a fight and shook his hands lightly before fisting them.

"Cale, make them stop," Alex fake whined.

"Why do you think I can?" he answered with a small grin.

"You're the perfect one. Do something."

"Why do you call Cale perfect?" Rile asked but still faced his opponent.

"Yes, why?" Gabe asked, squared off against Rile.

"Duh, because he is. He's like a priest and he puts up with us and doesn't complain. He should strangle the lot of us in our sleep."

"Alex," Cale said, still grinning, "Think of how cold that would leave me."

"I so need to buy an electric blanket. But I'm evil. Pain pill! Over here, please!" Alex held up her hand.

Gabe placed the pill in her palm. "How often is the tablet for infection?"

"Three times a day, moron," Rile said. "Don't you care enough to read the instructions?"

"That's enough from you," Gabe said. "Get out."

"Rile, speak nicely. Gabe, ease up on Rile." Alex swallowed the pill.

Stop fighting over me. I'm not worth it.

"Why? So you can cuddle up with him and call it sparring?" Gabe asked.

"What?" Alex slapped her hands on the table. "Are you calling me a whore?" She hauled herself to her feet, pressure and pain mounting in her head as a short circuit threatened.

Rile and Cale exchanged worried glances while Alex and Gabe glared at each other.

"I am not. You don't know Rile," Gabe said.