Breakfast and Back to Work Ch 5.3

The next morning, Alex awoke with a start and stared at the unfamiliar ceiling. She quickly checked the room to make sure she was alone. She slid out of bed, looked under it, and peeked in the bathroom. Once she made sure that the bedroom door was locked, she locked herself in the bathroom and took a shower. She was fully awake and coherent by the end of the shower and dressed. She opened the bedroom door and saw Gabe organizing her books on the bookshelf.

"Good morning," she said. "You're here early."

"You asked me to stay here last night," Gabe replied. At the horrified look on her face, he added, "I slept on the couch. All night."

"Of course, that's right. Want breakfast?" Alex ran her hand through her hair.

"Thank you."

Alex busied herself in the kitchen, pulling out eggs, a frying pan, and greasing it, when she heard a voice over her shoulder.

"What are you doing?"

The shock in Gabe's voice froze Alex. She looked at him, then at the egg in her hand, poised to crack into the frying pan, and back up at Gabe.

Where do reptiles come from?

Alex swiftly placed the egg back in the carton.

"Birds," she said too cheerfully. "Just checking on the little darlings. Where do all those pigeons in Jackson Square come from? People incubate the eggs and release the chicks. I'm one of those philanthropically minded souls."

She shoved the eggs back in the fridge, pulled out the boudin and dumped it in the frying pan. Gabe still eyed her with suspicion, head tilted and mouth tight, but didn't pursue it further.

Close call.  Now I'll have to use those awful egg substitutes. The sacrifices I make in the name of interspecies diplomacy.

Rile pounded on the door.  "Let us in! I smell breakfast!"

Alex could hear Cale chastising his brother. She let them in with a rueful smile and wondered how to make pancakes without eggs.

Those cartons that Cale used.

The factoid that sales of strawberry Pop-Tarts spiked right before a hurricane breezed through her brain and she grabbed the box of them. She was glad that the brothers didn't question a breakfast of boudin and Pop-Tarts. As they ate, Alex's cell phone rang. The brothers fell quiet as she spoke

"Hello? Yes, I'm Alex Anderson...yes, I'll take a receptionist job at a doctor's office...yes, I'm available Monday. Thank you." Alex clicked off her phone.

I was having fun with the brothers but money's nice. I need it for all the restaurants that I plan on enjoying with them. Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow I die.

*****

A/N : This was a funny, relationship building chapter. Don't worry, things will start hopping soon!

Dedicated to @DianaTheThird with love from the Dragon Editor. You know you love it.