Tracking Morgan Ch. 6.2

Alex unlocked her apartment door and waved Gabe inside. "Have a seat. Want something to drink?"

"No thank you."

"Eat?"

"No thank you. Please stop stalling and tell me what happened."

Alex sat on the couch and looked at the floor. "It was Morgan."

"What?" Gabe sat beside her. "Where did he find you? At your job? Did you kill him? Wound him? Leave him unconscious? Where is he?"

Alex shook her head. "I was halfway home when he pushed me into an alley. There were a lot of people around so he didn't do more than dislocate my finger." She laid her head on her knees. "So humiliating. Please leave now," she said as she felt her throat tighten, her chest crush in, and tears force their way out.

Crying is awful enough. Crying in front of someone? Total shame.

"I'm not the one who wants to humiliate you." Gabe carefully placed an arm around her. "I'm the one who wants to make you feel better, remember?"

"No, I don't remember." Alex wiped her eyes, surprised and scared at the relief his touch brought. "That's what he wants. For me to remember. I won't, no matter what he does to me." She turned her head to the side to look at Gabe. "Do you understand now?"

"Not really, but I'm nothing like him. Do you understand that?"

Alex nodded slightly.

"Tell me where he was. I'll take my brothers and we'll track him. We'll teach him the error of his ways."

Alex stared at him a long moment, taking in the determination on his face coupled with the sympathy in his eyes, and trying to reconcile it with the reality she knew. At length, she mentally shook herself. "I'll take you there. I can't send you after my nightmare while I hide, no matter how terrified I am. Let's go." Alex stood up and scrubbed her eyes.

Someone wants to help me? Risk facing Morgan for me? I wonder if I'm really awake.

*****

They walked downstairs, Alex studying the steps.

"Cale, Rile, gear up," Gabe called. "We're tracking Morgan. He hurt Alex and it's time for justice."

"Why didn't you blast him, Alex?" Cale asked as he sheathed his sword and staff.

"Then execute him," Rile added. "Your problem would have been solved. That's what I call justice."

"I couldn't reveal my powers with all those people around. If someone saw, I'd never have any peace." She didn't tell them that her powers didn't work against Morgan.

Rile already mocks me and Gabe must think I'm incompetent after this incident. I don't want them knowing that my blocked powers means I subconsciously admit I deserve Morgan.

"If we knew more about your past, we could find out more about him and how to stop him," Rile continued, having not been pacified by Alex's reasoning.

"Let's see. What do I know of my past?" Alex held up her fingers and ticked them off as she spoke. "One, huge, painful incision on my head. Two, weird powers, probably illegal. Three, obsessed rapist who claims to know about said powers. Nope, not interested in finding out more. If only I practiced more hand-to-hand. There wasn't enough room for a good kick. I knew I should have ditched traditional martial arts for Krav Maga." 

"Alex, you must practice combat skills with us," Gabe said. "Later, however. We act now."

***

Alex led them to the alley, winding along the least crowded way she knew since the brothers' disguising ability didn't hold up well in crowds.

"Cale, you're the best tracker," Gabe said.

Cale bent to the spot. He closed his eyes, inhaled, and his tongue flicked out, close to, but not touching, the ground. "I have Alex's scent and that of a human male who reeks of the human beverage called beer." He stood and pointed down the alley. "That way."

They followed the alley to where it opened to a side street. Cale led them through dirty New Orleans streets to a cheap parking garage. Alex's heart sank at the sight, but more importantly, the stench of cars, oil, and rancid takeout food. Still, Cale tracked Morgan to a parking spot. He circled around it and then stood up straight, apology written on his face.

"Car," Cale said. "He entered it and drove off. All the cars smell the same to me."

"Fire truck," Alex said.

"Back home," Gabe said.

"Let's go to the movies," Alex countered. "I'm too wound up to go home."

"At last!" Rile cried in triumph. "I've been wanting to see one but these two sticks in the sand won't let me go."

"Really? Why? It's very dark inside and as long as it's not a premiere, it's not that crowded. Please, Gabe?" Alex turned puppy dog eyes on him, causing him to blink in surprise.

"Ah, well, if it's that important," he stammered.

"Great! First we load up on bottled water and candy at the drugstore. Next, we smuggle it in, and I'll spring for popcorn there." Alex took off at a fast pace before Gabe could change his mind.

****

A/N Do you want the dragon brothers to find Morgan or not?

Many thanks to my fellow author readers! I plan to dedicate chapters to each of them and if I forget someone, PM me and I'll correct my error and apologize profusely!

Dedicated to the eyeball army of DianaTheThird

Second in command, author of Red Eyed Killers AnastasiaThomas089

Decorated soldiers: Eireen_Kilau

@k_vwilson

@ray_of_sunshing

##a_allowed##a_allowed href="https://www.wattpad.com/user/donovanandrea" ## donovanandrea