The End...and a Beginning Ch. 18.3

Alex obediently followed Gabe and Cale to all of Rile's usual 'sulking spots' as they called them. When the last one was empty, Alex said, "I want to check one place out."

Gabe inclined his head toward her. "Lead on."

"Uhm, without y'all."

Gabe's back straightened, his shoulders squared, and he used, what Alex called behind his back, his 'best leader voice.' "Absolutely not."

"It'll be fine. I'll fly straight there and back. Humans don't go there."

"Why would he be there?"

Alex chewed her lip and Cale started anxiously clacking his claws.

"Sometimes we patrolled together." Alex held her hands palm up. "Please, let's not fight. Or if we must, after we find Rile."

Gabe looked between his anxious brother and Alex trying so hard to be reasonable. "Very well. Fly right there and back."

"Please go back to the carriage house. Please?" Alex clasped her hands together, fighting the urge to whack him one.

Cale hesitantly touched Gabe's arm. "That does make sense. That way if she has to follow him, it will be easy to find us and we won't be out in the open."

Gabe shrugged. "Very well." He watched as Alex took off and then started walking home with his brother.

**

Alex flew to the rooftop where she and Rile had seen the bar party what seemed like eons ago. She was relieved to find him there, practicing his sword forms.

"I'm sorry we teased you," she said as soon as she landed.

Good thing my pride is plastic. I'm sure stretching it a lot lately.

Rile sheathed his sword. "You didn't tease me."

"I laughed when I shouldn't have and I'm sorry."

Rile approached her and came close, too close, but Alex refused to back up. She craned her head up to look at him.

Rile gazed down at her, eyes dark with emotion. "I could say I'm sorry for pushing you about love but I'm not."

"I can't love you," Alex said quickly. "Or anyone. I'm too broken for that and no one can fix me, not even you. Please, let's call a truce. Please?"

Pleading with these dragon brothers is becoming my habit now. Well, I guess there are worse things.

"If it makes you feel better, I don't love Gabe and he doesn't love me and I know full well that he intends to return home to restart the clan. He's an alien dragon guy and I'm a short-lived crazy human. I don't see a relationship growing there, so you shouldn't either."

Mix the lie with the truth and that makes it easier to swallow.

Rile gently placed his hands on both her shoulders. "Temporary truce only."

"I'm a temporary type of gal." Alex took one of his hands and speed burst off the roof with him.

**
Cale and Gabe were sitting on the couch when Rile and Alex entered. A seven foot tall white column of bluish-white light flashed into existence in front of Alex. Cale, Gabe, and even Rile, snapped to attention.

"My Guardian, tell me what has happened." Light and a crashing glass voice assailed Alex's carriage house apartment.

Alex stepped aside and looked at the brothers. "I believe she is talking to one of you."