Does He or Doesn't He? Ch. 13.3

It was a week before the temp agency called. Alex and the brothers had spent it recuperating and watching old movies. Rile gave in to Cale's taste in viewing. When a job offer finally came, Alex felt obliged to accept it. She told the brothers the address and walked to the office for the late shift.

"You must be the new receptionist," the security guard said to Alex as she looked over her instructions after her orientation.

Alex's shoulders hunched slightly.

"Now, now, no need to look like a rabbit under the eye of a fox. I'm Mike. I've worked security here for ten years. Any questions, you ask me. I've seen it all."

Alex looked up at him with eyes that were nothing like a frightened rabbit or even a fox. She was the predator much higher up the food chain. "I'm a temp. Two week assignment," she said coolly.

A tap on the window made her twitch, but Mike turned, all alertness. Rile, face shadowed, motioned to Alex. Gabe and Cale wisely had their backs to the glass. The guard started forward but Alex laid a hand on his arm.

"Wait, I'm meeting them for lunch. I was told I had a whole hour," she said, trying for the right amount of submissiveness in her voice.

Security guards love that.

"That's right." The guard stared at Rile.

Alex glared at Rile over the guard's shoulder and made a spinning motion with her hand. He turned around. Alex stalked out the door. She grabbed Rile's arm and yanked him along.

"Rile, what's with you?" she demanded.

"I thought we had another Robert on our hands."

Alex stumbled, recovered. "I was only talking to him." The eyes she turned on him were large and hurt.

"That's how it starts, first talking, then dinner, then bullet in the head."

Alex's breath caught and she covered her mouth with her hand. Gabe pushed Rile out of the way so that he could walk next to Alex. 

"Don't listen to him. Have I mentioned he's insane?" Gabe asked.

Cale patted her shoulder. "You must build up a tough hide around Rile."

*****

Dr. Dewey met them at Maspero's, a restaurant that faced the French Quarter. The building dated back to 1788 and Andrew Jackson had plotted the Battle of New Orleans there.

They were placed at a corner table, shadowed in the wood paneled restaurant with brick columns. The hostess handed them their plastic coated menus and left them alone.

"Dr. Hermann's lab was searched and the drugs found. He explained it away and was given a research sabbatical," Dr. Dewey said. "Not ideal, but the best I could do. Dr. Hermann is better connected than I thought."

"You're in more danger than before," Cale said. "He has nothing to do now but plan revenge on you, on us. Don't go out after dark without one of us."

"I will not be a prisoner."

"Think about Mary," Cale said.

"We'll be careful."

"Take Krav Maga," Alex said. "Both of you. Glocks are good, too. Consistent trigger pull, unlike some fancy guns. People who call them Tupperware guns are snobs."

"I'll take your suggestions under advisement." Dr. Dewey opened and closed the menu. "Muffalettas?

Alex shook her head. "Seafood stuffed pistolettes. Rile, you have a fire mouth, try the Cochon De Lait. Gabe, if you want authenticity, order the Fettuccini Corn Maque Choux."

"For me?" Cale asked.

"You like crawfish, so the Crawfish Pierre Pasta."

Alex longed for a martini, but didn't think it would be appreciated the first day at a new job, temp or no. They ate in silence, aware of their recent defeats.

*****

Alex was quiet at work and ignored Mike as politely as possible. After work, she ran out of the office and headed for one of her favorite spots. She sat on the edge of the roof of the nearby apartment complex, for it afforded a lot of freedom.  A lot of people were afraid of heights, and even those who weren't, didn't dangle their legs over the sides of high-rises.  Except for the pigeons and the suicidal, she thought she was assured of privacy.

"Mind if I have a seat?" Gabe asked.

She nearly fell off the roof in surprise at his voice. "Plenty of room."

They sat together, neither speaking, for a long, long time.

"Nice spot," Gabe said.

"I like it."

Another long pause.

"Uhmm, do you remember what happened the time you were caught in my neuro-electric discharge?" Alex asked.

"Some," he replied.

"Oh." She banged her heels against the side of the wall, twisting her hands in her lap.

Does he remember what he said to me? Is his non-committal reply ignorance or regret?

"Did I . . . .uhm . . . hurt you?" Alex asked.

"No."

"Oh.  That's good. I didn't want that."

I feel like an idiot. I certainly am talking like one.

The silence became louder.

"I like you better than any human," she said in an embarrassed rush.

"Thanks."

That cinches it.  Not only am I an idiot, I'm depressed. That was my best shot. I don't dare say any more.

"I came here to apologize," Gabe said.

"For what?"  Curiosity won out over Alex's depression.

"For the way I acted when I was uh, recovering from that, uh, discharge."

"You didn't do anything and you don't need to apologize.  I should.  You've been helping me control my powers and putting up with who knows what while I practice them. I'm sorry if I hurt you," Alex replied.

"You didn't hurt me." Gabe stood up. "I'm sorry, I should go. We're leaving tomorrow for two weeks. I want Cale out of the city for awhile. He'll feel better with camping and hunting," Gabe said.

"Oh."

I wonder if Gabe will feel better with camping and hunting or just being away from me. He's sorry for the way he acted. He must regret his words. I should have known.

"I'll let you know when we get back. Dr. Dewey and Mary will escort you back and forth to work to protect you from Morgan. I pray he won't face a crowd. All three of you will also walk with Dr. Dewey to his classes to protect him from Hermann. You need some time off the street yourself. Stay inside at night."

Alex was too tired to argue with him.

He's right about Morgan, who can't have given up stalking me. Too bad Morgan and Dr. Hermann hadn't met. Maybe they could eliminate each other.

Or join forces.

She watched Gabe leave, wishing that someone so strong and talented could have an interest in her. She cursed her own stupidity, pushed off the side of the building, and soared upward to clear her head. 

I'm just street trash, but those thugs on the street will pay. Fire truck staying inside at night.

*****

A/N

Does Gabe remember his words of affection or not?

Dedicated to all my loyal readers [even though Wattpad won't let me list them all]

Including one of my sisters, an early beta reader of the written version! Thanks!