Revelations Ch. 13.1

Dr. Dewey returned several hours later without Robert.

"This," Dr. Dewey held up the syringe, "is a particularly nasty designer drug.  The good Dr. Hermann could make a million on the street with this stuff.  It's more addictive than heroin. He would be guaranteed plenty of return business. He must be producing it in a private lab. Tulane would never let him tinker with drugs."

"What does this mean for Cale?" Gabe asked.

"It means you all have your work cut out for you, especially Alex. It also means that as the head of the ethics committee, I'll order an immediate investigation of Dr. Hermann's lab in the morning. It won't go well for him. One less problem for you."

She woke up at the sound of her name and looked around fuzzily. "What?"

"Lie back down, Sleeping Beauty. We'll let you know how the story ends," Rile said.

"Very funny, Rile," she yawned. "What's the news?"

"A few instructions for nursing your friend back to health.  Push fluids as well as Alex's analgesic discharges, but don't leave him unconscious too long.  I'm afraid it will be worse than last time," Dr. Dewey said.

"Last time was such a piece of cake. Any more helpful suggestions?" Rile sat on the bed by Cale, looked down at his sleeping brother, and checked his pulse.

"Rile, we're all to blame for what happened.  Please listen to the doctor." Gabe motioned for Dr. Dewey to continue.

"You may not be able to control all the symptoms with Alex's neural powers.  I can't be sure, for I've never seen this drug before.  You need to keep Cale quiet, in a dark room with as little noise as possible.  Any sensory stimulation could trigger an attack. We'll move him to the carriage house bedroom before he wakes up," Dr. Dewey explained. "The bedroom window is too small for him to fit through."

Gabe and Rile easily hefted Cale into Dr. Dewey's car. Alex wasn't sure if she was happy or disturbed that Cale didn't awaken with the transfer. After Gabe and Rile settled Cale onto their mattress, they moved back into the living area, the door cracked open so that they could hear him.          

"Is it hot in here?" Alex wiped her forehead.

"Are you all right?" Gabe laid his hand on Alex's forehead. "You're burning up."

"I probably caught some mutant killer cold virus while I was in the lab."

"What? You were captured as well?" Dr. Dewey asked, startled.

"Don't rub it in," Alex said, miserable. "I feel stupid enough as it is by letting Cale get away." She dropped into a chair and her head lolled back.  She pushed back her sweat-dampened hair from her face.

"Alex." Dr. Dewey gripped her shoulders. "Tell me, did they inject you with the same chemical as Cale?"

"I counteracted the effects with my powers."

"You don't look like you could counteract an aspirin." Rile stood over her and frowned.

"Rile," Gabe said with considerable irritation. "Doctor Dewey, what does it mean? Will Alex suffer the same withdrawal as Cale?"

She looked up at them in alarm.

"You mean Alex will freak out, too? I can hold her down but she has to help Cale." Rile drummed his fingers on his sword hilt.

"Rile, that is enough." Gabe placed a comforting hand on Alex's shoulder.

"No, he's right." Alex said with agitation. "I can't afford to get sick. You have to do something."