Chapter 27

Tomas

Tomorrow is our last day of being in California, we've been here the past 3 months; we planned to stay till the end of the summer but Casey started getting homesick. We were at the beach, eating hot dogs with lemonade sitting on the tailgate of my truck when she jumped down and covered her mouth. She ran to the bathroom; she came back as if nothing was wrong.

I started to wonder if she was sick. Could she be pregnant? I caught her off guard "There's no chance of you being pregnant right?" She looked at me and laughed hysterically "Unlikely. What? Why would you ask that?" I raised my eyebrow at her "Things can fail." She was acting weird as if she was hiding something. She looked away from my stare with a better hold of herself "We're careful. You wear a condom and I'm on birth control. No worries."

I wasn't going to press the issue but hoped what I was about to tell her would ease whatever she hid "Well we had a break when we first came." The fear in her eyes wrote out what she feared. I wanted her to tell me when she was comfortable, I had an idea that she was pregnant. I'm not naive or blind to the sudden changes in her. She chuckled slightly confirming my suspicions "I took my pills every day. We are fine."

My next move I had planned weeks ago. I wanted to marry her, I didn't care if we were only 17. I needed her to know I planned a lifetime with her and had no other intentions of seeking other women ever again. She forced the hotdog down and I noticed the disgust and queasy look on her face. She quickly washed it down with her drink, I wanted to tell her I knew. But if I did she'd see my next move as a pity proposal.

As she was turned I reached into my pocket and kneeled. She turned back and her eyes popped, I smiled at her "Casey, will you marry me?" She kept quiet but I felt her nerves, her mind was racing. I calmed her down slightly "We don't need to get married right away, we can wait as long as you want." She started crying into her palms, I stood up "Casey." I hugged her and smoothed her hair down her back, she looked up with a sniffle "You know don't you."

I argued with myself to deny it but I couldn't lie to her. I sighed "I suspected." She looked away crying harder "I'm such an idiot." I turned her head toward me "You're not an idiot. We are both responsible." She took a deep breath "I forgot some pills. I was sure I took them but..." I kissed her to stop her racing mind. I rested my forehead on hers "It's okay. I'm in this fully." She looked surprised as I slipped the ring on her finger. I kissed her forehead "Let's head back to confirm it."

If she was, I wouldn't run away this time. I will support her the whole way and raise this child with her. Deep down I had some hope she was, I'd be happy to be a father this time if I was. If not, then waiting would be worth it. I plan on marrying her someday, but right now I'd be happy just being with her with a child or not.

The sun began to set, and she slid into my arms hugging me "Is that a yes?" She kissed me "Yes." I picked her up in my arms and kissed her, she held onto my neck and her legs were wrapped around my waist, she whispered "I never want to let go of you. You are my whole world." I kissed her "No matter what happens, I won't leave you again." I set her down, she walked to the passenger side and we headed back to her cousin's.

We went inside, she showed her ring to her cousin and they talked while I started packing and loading the bags into the truck. As I grabbed her bag from the bathroom I noticed the tin foil paper holding her pills on top. I looked at the missing ones and exhaled mumbling "She's definitely pregnant."

The girls came upstairs, Casey came into the bathroom "I thought you were downstairs." She grabbed the bag from me "I need to talk to her for a little bit. I'll be down shortly." I simply nodded and went downstairs. Just as I was getting ready to go get gas they came down the stairs, Casey had tears in her eyes and a box in her hand. Kayla looked concerned but hid it right away.

Casey walked up looking at the box "Ready to find out?" Fear was written all over her facial expressions and her cousin remained speechless. I grabbed Casey's hand "I'm here regardless of the results." Kayla looked away wiping her eyes "I can't." I followed Casey to the downstairs bathroom. She tore open the box and didn't hesitate to take it. The silence was killing me as we waited, I grabbed her hand "We're in this together."

She reached for it on the counter and we both looked at it. She started crying "My mom is going to kill me." I threw the test away and hugged her "She loves you. She might be on edge but she will love you just as much as before." She wiped her face "I need a minute." I stood kissing her forehead and left the bathroom, Kayla looked at me with concern "Is she?" I nodded with an exhale. Kayla glared at me "Do right by her. If I hear you left, I will castrate you myself."

Casey came out "I'm ready to go." Kayla said "I know it's unexpected but I know you'll love him or her." Casey glared at her "I'm not having a baby this young." Kayla scoffed "Casey you are not getting an abortion. You can raise him or her." She laughed with tears beginning to fall "I am not pushing a baby out of my tiny body."

I rubbed her back to calm her down but Kayla decided to push her on the idea "I was like that too, then I fell in love with her." Casey then got angry "Kayla I'm not you! I can't take care of a child, I'm in high school! I can't drop out and take care of a baby."

Kayla frowned at her outburst "You're being selfish Casey. That baby is a part of you now, you should've thought of that before you had sex." Casey got beyond pissed "Right because you are so much better than me, the guy left you to take care of that kid alone." I had to put a stop to this before blood was spilled "Casey. That isn't nice." She looked at me with a death glare "Yeah well neither is having a baby at 17. You weren't okay with it then, why are you now?" She stormed out of the house, I apologized to her cousin "I'm sorry for that, she didn't mean it. She's in a state of shock, I'm sure she'll come around." Kayla smiled "I know and thank you. You'll be a good father; I hope she sees that before aborting." I sighed "Yeah. Good luck with your little one." She smiled "Thank you, drive safe."

I got in the truck as Casey leaned against the door, I looked at her "I need to fill up. Do you want anything while I'm inside?" Silence. I drove to the nearest gas station and started filling up, Casey had gotten out and went inside. She came out with a plastic bag "I'm sorry." I leaned against the truck "I don't blame you for your reaction. Though you could've been easier on Kayla." She sighed "I know. My emotions are everywhere with this and I don't mean to be up on her. I'll apologize to her."

I looked at the pump to check the amount so far. Casey opened the door and tossed the bag on the seat "I know you'll be a good dad but I... I have no idea about kids or having one." I glanced back at her "You won't be doing this on your own. You have me, your mom, and my dad who will be helpful. Casey, I love you and I love this baby." She placed her hands on her stomach and my heart fluttered by it "I know. I'm just scared."

The pump clicked and I put it back up "I know you are but you will be okay." She climbed into the truck from my side and slid over to hers, I climbed in and looked at her "I love you." She smiled up at me "I love you too." As we pulled off I noticed she looked tired, by the time we reached Arizona she was asleep on my arm with one hand placed on her stomach. I couldn't have asked for a better image than this one.