Chapter 38

*TRIGGER WARNING. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*

Casey

I sat on his floor holding my legs to my chest trying to cope with what just happened, my hand hurt from his biting but I didn't care. He had to live, he couldn't leave that easily.  Once everyone had left and he was transported to the hospital, Alejandra came in and whispered "Casey." I look up at her "I tried." She fell beside me and hugged me "You saved his life. Don't you dare blame yourself." My eyes burst into more tears "What if I had never come over? Ale, he'd be dead. TJ wouldn't get to know his father." She rubbed my back "He's being admitted as soon as he checked. My dad isn't letting this go on any further to the best of his ability." 

I jumped up and ran into his bathroom, my stomach exploded into the toilet. All of this was too much for me, Alejandra came in "Do you need something?" I cleaned my mouth "No. I need to get home, thank you." I stood and rinsed my mouth, I wanted out of this room as quickly as possible. I needed to feel the fresh air in hopes it would numb the pain I felt in my chest. Once I opened the front door and the cold air hit my face I finally felt able to breathe. I opened my car door and sat in the driver seat, I fell over the side once again puking. 

My phone started ringing in my bag, I reached for it as I cleaned up my mouth "Hey mom." I heard TJ crying in the background as she shook a bottle in her hand "I just got off the phone with Rob. Are you okay?" I sniffled "I tried. He..." She stopped me "Come over and we'll talk." I hung up the phone and drove to her house. I walked in the front door, she was sitting on the couch feeding TJ. I sat beside her "I called out of work." She turned to face me "You did what you could, no one would've known he'd do that." 

I started crying again "This is my fault. Had I never got into a relationship with him, he wouldn't be obsessed with me." My mom shook her head "Casey that isn't the problem. You know that, it goes beyond that. The issues with his mom, finding out he has a sister, and becoming a young father. We have the Amanda situation, it goes further than you and your relationship with you." I wiped my face "He told me before he did it. You're mine and mine only. What else do you get from that?" She moved closer to me "He isn't in a good mindset, I'm not excusing his actions but Casey he hasn't learned to love you. He might be trying but being he was an abused child, love was something he hardly had." 

Silence grew between us before she spoke again "You have both been through so much together. You want to hear something I read the other day." I look at her and nod, she props TJ up to burp him "When your firstborn is a boy, you need to know true love and when your firstborn is a girl, you need maturity." I look up at her "Do you believe that?" She nodded as she patted his back "When you look at him, what do you feel?" I look at TJ who is grinning at me "Okay you made your point." 

She handed him to me "I think I should keep him tonight but it's up to you." I shook my head "It's okay, I think I'll be okay with all of this." She stood up "Okay, let me know if you hear anything from Rob." I stood grabbing the diaper bag "You'll be the first to know." She turned back to me "And Casey. If people at school talk, you defend him, say it has something to do with his accident." I gave her a fake smile "I know mom."

The following morning, I showed up late for school. I wasn't feeling good so I decided to sleep through 1st period. Once I showed up, the drama was quick to start; Kylie and her friends were first to approach me "Here we thought you were in the looney hospital with your boyfriend." I don't glance at her and continue walking, her friend Makayla shouts "Hopefully the kid doesn't grow up to have his traits." 

I turn around "I already told you to leave my son out of it, this is my second warning. Tomas is in the hospital for internal bleeding from his accident, not for some psychological reason. Speak on my son again and I have no problem being suspended for what I plan to do." I walk away, meeting up with Mariana and Ashlyn. Ashlyn whispered "Where were you?" I open my locker "We slept in, I wasn't feeling good this morning."