Voices

I sat on my bed with my hands around my knees, thinking about everything.
My best friend is dead.
My fake* best friend is dead.
The betrayal and grief I felt towards her were enormous.
She tried to kill me. And Kayden killed her.
She hated me for something I can't even remember doing... my whole life is based on a lie. They took everything away from me and replaced it with some bullshit. I know I'll never be the like I was before I lost my memory and I'm not sure I want to be. These people are cruel, cold blooded killers. I get that they kill vampires to protect humans but when I looked how Kayden killed Jasmine with cold blood, I was speechless. I never want to be like that again.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a knock on my slightly ajar door.
"Hey..." Kayden said as the entered the room and sat on my bed. I looked at him and turned away.
"Look, I'm not sorry for killing that vampire but I'm sorry you lost a friend. I had to kill her, she would have killed you." I turned to him and looked him in the eyes.
"I don't want to be a Fighter." I said under my breath.
He looked confused and grabbed my cold hand gently.
"Olivia, you already are a Fighter. That's what you were born to do and you knew it with all your heart. We don't get to live normal human lives, we don't get a choice. We live to die while trying, we don't get to run. Maybe you don't want to be a Fighter, but you don't have a choice. It's in your blood."

...

The days flew by.
I trained, I socialized with people and trained again. I got to have a weapon but I'm not yet allowed to go on any mission.
I watch how people leave the Shelter every evening, not taking a care in the world, not thinking about how they might never come back. I always wonder how many bloodthirsty creatures they kill every night. One. Ten. Fifty.

I watch Kayden.
How he trains with other Fighters and how we always wins. He always wears t-shirts that are either black or white, short sleeved. I look how his biceps move every time he swings the blade or how he runs his fingers through his messy brown hair. His stormy grey eyes are always concentrated on the target, his fighting skills are flawless. He should wear one of those t-shirts with "Flawless" written in the middle. I smiled at the thought. But he really seems perfect. Even he himself is irresistible to women, I see how they stare at him whenever they get the chance.
I don't think anyone could ever beat him when I see how he fights. He seems so powerful, so cold, so serious. But when our eyes lock it's like something in his eyes change, they soften I think, but then he covers it up and looks away.

Mrs Smith is in charge.
She's dark skinned and always has neatly done hair. She's one hell of a badass, if you ask me. I admire her, but I also think she loves having everything under her control. She's a perfectionist and sometimes comes around to see Fighters training, mostly on Friday evenings.
She never looks at me though, I think she thinks I'm not worthy yet, and I don't want her to. I would get super nervous if she watched me while I had to defend myself. Even looking at her makes me uncomfortable.
She watches Kayden sometimes, and always leaves satisfied. I can tell he's her favorite.

Today Kayden asked me to train with him and I  accepted. We fought with wooden stick instead of actual blades which he always trains in and never gets a scratch.
He did some tricks and movements with the stick to show off how good he is. But before Kayden could throw the first hit, someone entered our place. Mrs Smith. I immediately stiffened and my palms started sweating.
Her opinion matters.
What she thinks of you matters.
And it's only good when you can fight good.
I got stressed and Kayden saw the uncomfortableness in my eyes. I saw her judgmental stare before she told us to carry on.
Kayden threw the first hit, very lightly and easy enough for me to handle and block. Then he did it again and again.
"Come on Mr Anderson I'm sure Miss Martin will handle it when you spice up the game a little." Me and Kayden locked eyes and he knew it wasn't going to end up well.
"Of course, ma'am." He said less enthusiastically and started hitting again. The first one went well, the second one was okay but I barely stopped the third one as it was quicker and stronger than before.
They came stronger and faster.
When Kayden saw I couldn't handle it anymore he simply did it again and then hit my leg to make me fall to the floor. My back hit the ground and I thought it was going to end like this. But it didn't.
"Mr Anderson stop disappointing me. She's not gonna learn anything this way."
I knew Kayden wasn't alright with this. He didn't answer.
I got up and took a deep breath before taking my position. I saw his pitiful eyes and attacked him for a change using all my strength but that was my mistake. I got a hit in the back as he moved away, painful as fuck, then immediately one on the leg and one that made me blackout.

Voices. I hear voices.
I wince as I feel my teeth grinding headache.
I can't see clearly. Everything's a blur.
Someone's talking.
No, arguing.
I can't move my hands, they're tied up.
I'm sitting on a chair, tied up and gagged.
I feel someone around me, my senses are coming back.
"Look who's awake..." I hear a deep manly voice behind me. I hear water dripping from somewhere.
"Don't worry, darling. Everything will be over soon." I heard the voice say before laughing sinisterly.
Then I feel something hit my head hard before blacking out immediately.