The Attic

Previously on Dust and Shadows...

Your parents left me all this to give to you if everything went to shit one day. I guess it's time I give it to you." She said as she gave me keys, an address on a piece of paper and a credit card with the pin and an USB stick.

"I knew your parents, Miss Martin. And they were brave, loyal Fighters. They died for the cause, and to help ensure your safety. There weren't more trustworthy Fighter than them. Be proud, and recover." Then she took something other out from her drawer and gave it to me. A photograph. Two people. A woman, as beautiful as the morning sunset in winter, and a man, stern but soft, wise... I looked closer and Mrs Smith took my hand. "They might not have had royal blood... But they were truly royalty."

***************

So yeah. I am kicked out. I feel like shit even more and I just wanna cuddle up into a ball and spend the rest of the day in the bed that no longer is mine. I watched as people from some 'moving out' company were taking my stuff to their van and coming back for more. When they were done they just hooped in and drove away. And at the same time, my cab came. "I can't believe they're making you leave." I heard Taylor in the back as he was walking quickly towards me. "Can you blame them? I can't even kill a fly." I said and looked away. "Do you want me to come with you? You don't know the house or where is it and maybe I can help with unpacking." I looked at him. "No, it's okay. I don't think it's anything special. I don't think my parents were rich or anything. I'll be fine on my own, but thanks though."

...

Holy fucking cheesy crackers with mustard! I stood with my jaw dropped open, staring with disbelief at the huge house in front of me.(Picture above) "You gotta be kidding me." I said to myself but someone cleared their throat next to me. I snapped to him with my jaw still dropped open, unable to process the image of the house. "We took all the things inside, ma'am. I just need you to sign here... and here." I nodded my head and signed the papers. "Thank you and have a nice day, ma'am." I turned from him to the house again and still couldn't believe it. I loved it, and yet it scared me; my parents lived here before they died...

Some older woman came out from the house and I frowned. Who's that? She rushed towards me with a huge smile. "My dear! You're really here! After all this time! God, what a beauty you are!" She kept saying as she pulled me into a lungs-breaking hug. She had short grey hair and bright blue eyes. She was maybe in her late fifties, the same length as me and wore a white shirt with black trousers. "I'm sorry... Do I know you?" I asked awkwardly as the lady let me go. "Of course not, darling! I knew you from when you were a baby!My name's Adelaide and I was your nanny!" My jaw dropped again. "I took care of you while your parents were out on missions, sweetheart. After they died I took care of the house until you are old enough to do it yourself. And here you are, as beautiful as your mother... Oh dear, I heard about what happened in The Shelter. Like those bastards on the council don't have nothing to do but to discuss your fighting skills so soon after the incident." She said and took my hand. "Julia, sweetheart. It's good you're back. Your parents would've wanted you to be here. Come inside, I'll show you around."

...

"And here's the master bedroom. It belonged to your parents." Adelaide said as I entered their former bedroom. It was huge, clean and smelled fresh. There was one king sized bed in the middle, a huge TV and other expensive-looking furniture along with a huge window. It somehow pained me to be there but I pushed the feeling away. I lived my whole life without missing them, nothing will change now. Adelaide showed me the whole house.

"All your parents' things are in the attic if you ever want to take a peak. It's all yours now, darling. I'll leave you to it. Remember, if you need anything my house is just down the road. Take care child. I'll check up on you tomorrow." She said as she hugged me tightly again. "Thank you, Adelaide. For everything."