Hunting Season

Previously on Dust and Shadows...

"You bastard! Delete that picture it looks like I've slept with him-" then she realized that was the point.
"Kayden I am warning you, do not send this to your parents. I get it, they'll say I cheated and therefore I'm not fit to marry you but you know I didn't. Kayden! It will ruin me, and my reputation!"
Reggie pushed me aside and exited the room, just I and Samantha were left. I felt awful.

"I'm sorry, Samantha." I said and sent the photo.
*****************

||Third Person's POV||

"There was an old woman, who lived in a shoe,

she had so many children, she didn't know what to do;

So she gave them one broth without any bread,

And she whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed."

Deep within a forest, the red eyed creatures gathered. His long, dirty and sharp nail brushed against a knife, bigger than his hand. He sang the song over and over again, each time more slowly, staring carefully at the knife like he was in deep thought. The creatures gathered, inside an old cabin where no one dared to make a sound. There were dozens of bright red eyes, staring right at him, but he looked like he didn't mind. He was a lunatic. Suddenly the rain fell down hard, and lightning filled the room as the only source of light. The thunder and the rain falling onto the trees were the only things you could hear. Nobody moved, nobody made a sound. They were standing like shadows, all directly looking at him. Their glowing red eyes would give anyone the scare, but he just stared at his knife, the knife he wished to put through the Martins' daughter's heart. He finally looked up at everybody. He stood up, his figure was bigger than an average man's, and as he straightened his back everyone's eyes followed his face. Finally, everyone could see his eyes. The brightest, and deepest red anyone could think of. He showed his dominance, his greatness that came with those eyes. He was the last of Rubrum, meaning 'red' in Latin. The last most powerful vampire on the planet.

"Ladies, and gentlemen," His voice was smooth and deep, and his British accent was surprisingly pleasant to hear. He took a slow look around. He smirked.

"I know it's been a while since we all gathered here, but of course, everything happens for a reason. And today, the reason I called you all here is because I have some very interesting news to tell you," He chuckled and took a few steps towards the other vampires. Suddenly his good mood was no longer, he looked sharply at everybody and his hands formed fists, if his sight could kill, they'd all be dead.

"The Martins are still alive." He hissed and the room filled worried but quiet chatter. As soon as he opened his mouth silence filled the room once again. "Now, every one one of you disposes hundreds of vampires, and I know, for a fact, where the girl is hidden. As it turns out, she lived, FOR A WHOLE BLOODY YEAR, with the traitors from the Cold Crew. They thought they could make her 'harmless', they wiped her memory and replaced it with a fake one. They believed we didn't have to kill the girl, to do what's necessary. Now, I will find out, where these traitors are hiding, if they're still alive of course, but if they are, I will empty their bodies of their cold, useless guts and shove them down their throat before putting a silver dagger in their hearts! How dare they disobey me! How dare they hide our biggest threat for a whole year! They are nothing but traitors, and I am putting a death sentence, on the whole Cold Crew, and I will hunt them, until not even a dog from the Cold Crew is alive!" Everyone believed every word he said. Even though they were all already dead, and their blood stone cold, even they shivered at their Master's threats. Everyone knows you don't go against the Rubrum. The Cold Crew, is a clan of vampires, who are believing that the vampires don't have to fight against the Fighters, or drink more blood than necessary. That they can live harmoniously. But that's not true. The Fighters kill any vampire they find in their way, Cold Crew or not, and vampires want blood, blood, and more blood. There was never any room for peace.

Every vampire wanted to get their hands on the Martins' daughter. The Martins killed all 4 out of 5 leaders of the Rubrum. The most lunatic, dangerous and sadistic one, survived. Without Rubrum, all vampires would be weaker, and a lot more vulnerable, making them a perfect target for The Fighters to finish. Julia Martin, their daughter, is the only member of the Martin family whose alive. Everyone knows she's just as dangerous as her dead parents. And they all want her head.

"I hope everyone's listening closely," The lunatic spat angrily as he looked carefully at all the red eyes staring at him. "Because I am going to finish the Martins, once and for all. I want every one of you, to gather their forces. The hunting season is open!"

Julia didn't know the trouble and danger that was coming towards her as she came from a morning jog, and cooked breakfast. She checked her mail, just like any normal person would. There was no more Shelter for her, no more fighting, no more vampire bullshit. She could finally be just a normal person. Living in her dead parents' house, Julia had to adjust to what had happened to her. She was kidnapped, had her memory erased, and lived a year with vampires that pretended to be her family, and she didn't understand how she's still alive. Yes, she could fight better than an average person, and she was quite fit, but it was nothing compared to the other Fighters. Compared to Kayden... She had once been one of the best Fighters in San Francisco but now, she wasn't sure if she'd survive a meet and greet with even one vampire.

As she checked all the letter that came to her, she noticed a yellowish envelope. On the side she read: Creative Writing University of San Francisco. Her heart skipped a beat. It was almost hilarious, thinking about going there now, after everything she found out. She opened it anyway. She got accepted. Julia had to sit down, she didn't know what to think. Since they kicked her out of the Shelter, because she made no progress, and now she lives here, with no real memories, maybe she could as well go to her dream university. Creative Writing... She thought to herself, trying to decide if that really is something she wants to do. She always liked physical activities though, but of course that's beceause it's in her blood. Killing dead creatures, protecting humans, training with other Fighters... and not writing. It sounded almost ridicolous in her head. The best Fighter of San Francisco loses her memories and decides to become a writer. She chuckled to herself. She missed Kayden, but she promised herself she wouldn't talk to him unless he finds a way to break off his engagement, the engagement his parents pulled him into with a girl named Samantha, who was delicate and yet could kick Kayden's ass, and way more beautiful than her. She didn't want to admit it, but her feelings for Kayden were strong. Since she saw him, she felt like she knows him, she felt a bond between them. And she was correct: before she was kidnapped for a year and had her memory erased, she and Kayden were deeply in love. I guess my feelings never really died for him... they were just... covered under fake feelings and memories. Julia wondered if she'll ever get her memory back, and she thinks it's the only way she'll truly remember how to fight and be the old Julia she was, even though that sounded a little scary for her. She felt drawn to the Shelter, to the Fighters, to Kayden. She wasn't ready to start a 'normal' life and go to a university to get a degree in Creative Writing... no. That's not what she really wanted. She wanted to be a Fighter, as good as her parents, even though she didn't want to admit it to herself.

Julia jumped as she heard knocking on her door. She quietly and quickly went to the front door and opened it suspiciously. She felt her heart skip a beat. It was Kayden. He looked sad, or dissapointed, maybe a little tired. Yet Julia was more than happy to see him, she really missed him those few days. "I broke off the engagement." He said and didn't look her in the eyes. She felt something was wrong. "How?"

*********A/N

Hello my dear, dear readers!

I truly apologize for not updating this books for a loooong while. But thank you for being so patient with me! Anyway... Do you think Julia will be mad when she learns the truth of how Kayden broke off his engagement?

You'll find out the answer soon enough!