Short Temper

||Kayden's POV||

I've woken up quite early today, considering I stayed late yesterday night with Julia and the whole bourbon situation. I didn't get a good night's sleep, I couldn't understand why my father would drug (or worse, poison) my bourbon on my birthday, (not as if it's okay on any other occasion). I yawned, feeling tired, I looked at my nightstand and looked at the open bourbon. I'll confront him about it, surely there must be an explanation, I can't just assume things and then bottle them up, it's not healthy. I was barely past 7am, the sun was just rising on the horizon. Knowing I wouldn't get any more sleep, I got up and decided to head downstairs.

Not many people were up, most were probably hungover from yesterday's party. My parents on the other hand, seemed quite in the mood.

I looked at my mother who was talking on her phone, her business clothes on along with her I'm-so-formal hairstyle which was having her naturally curly hair down and straight like an arrow, brightly blond. It suited her, being the head of the Georgia Shelter along with father. I know I shouldn't have, but I missed her. Even though she never missed me, always busy, always an excuse; no postcards, no Christmas presents, no sign of life, ever. When she and father return to their Shelter, it's gonna be back to that. I don't believe they came here for my birthday, considering they never had any problem missing all the others. It used to bug me, knowing they never really loved me, but it doesn't anymore. I'm a Fighter, hell I'm Kayden Anderson, I cannot have weaknesses.

"Kayden, son, you're up!" My father said from behind me enthusiastically and I quickly turned around, facing him. I noticed his hair got a little grey, yet still looked the same color as mines. He grew his beard a little, but not too much. They always look so formal, so important, clean and sharp. Sometimes I wonder if they ever wear pyjamas...

"Of course I am, father. Why wouldn't I be?" I asked a little too sarcastically and suspiciously but hopefully he did not notice. "Well, we thought you'd be hangover of course, from your... amazing birthday party! Did you sleep well? If you want, me, mother and Mrs Smith might consider giving you a day off," He looked straight into my eyes, we were both good at playing this game. But... ain't nobody got time for that.

"That won't be needed, father, thank you. And since you've asked, my sleeping wasn't quite well, I spent a look of time wondering why you poisoned my bourbon, father." I went straight to the point. My dad is dangerous, more than I can fathom, he and mother have big influence and we're the richest. My parents are also the smartest, the most selfish, committed and brutal there can be. It doesn't matter I'm their son, unless I'll give them one. All they ever wanted for me is to be the best, to bring satisfaction to them.

"Excuse me, son? I don't think I know what you're talking about." He said getting quite serious. I wasn't afraid of him, nor mother, and never will be. I cannot show weakness, for weakness is a Fighter's doom. "Cut the crap, father. Someone saw you." I looked discreetly around, mother was still busy. "Son, what are you ta-" still acting innocent? "What did you put in the bourbon, dad?!" I snapped and immediately regretted it since it brought the few's people's attention. My father's face hardened. He cut the bullshit. Suddenly mother was next to us, holding on to dad's shoulder with a confused look. "What's going on here?" She asked innocently. I wonder if she knows. "I've got this, Katherine." My father said quite pissed off and before I knew it he grabbed me by the neck and shoved me against the nearest wall, somehow I couldn't fight back even though I tried. Did I mention he's short tempered? "Wanna know what I put in your precious bourbon? What do you think! You think I'd poison my only living son on his birthday, huh?!" He shouted and I got a hold of his hand and twisted it, making him let me go before I tripped him to the floor. Somehow he managed back up, and grabbed me, throwing me to the other side of the room, my back hitting the wall painfully. He came my way. He grabbed my shirt and made me stand up, to look him in the eyes. "How dare you question my loyalty to this family and to you! Wanna know what I put in it? I put a sleeping pill in it since I always know you can't sleep on that particular night as you blame yourself for the death of your friends five years ago! I hoped after taking a drink or two it'd help you sleep better!" He let me go and I looked at him, surprised. He took a few deep breaths. "I'm not the monster you always think I am, Kayden." he said calmly before walking away. I looked up at my mother who just stood and watched, her expression unreadable. I turned left and saw Julia, looking at me concerned and mortified as she saw my father just slightly pissed off. She stood as if she couldn't move, her eyes perfectly locked with mines.

||Julia's POV||

Our eyes locked and I stood perfectly still, not understanding how a father could treat his son like this, putting him in place, in front of everyone, is such a horrid way. How he could turn to violence, after just a little disagreement. It was all my fault.

Kayden looked away and carelessly rushed towards his room, ignoring the few people's stares. He walked right past me and guilt washed over me along with regret, horrible feelings. I turned towards him but he was already on the stairs. I quickly walked after him.

"Kayden, hold on. Kayden!" I shouted after him as he marched through the empty hallways, nearly reaching his room. I quickly got to him and touched him on the shoulder gently, "Kayden!" I said as he spun around, still pissed off. "What?!" he shouted and I flinched back by taking a big step back, he clearly noticed and calmed himself down. "What is it?" He asked more calmly, but still sounding irritated. I took a step towards him and tried looking him in his eyes, but he wouldn't return the gesture. "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault, if only I shut up about the bourbon, hell I shouldn't even have been there-" Suddenly he looked straight at me. "This isn't your fault, Julia. Don't ever say that again. You haven't done anything wrong and it was nothing anyway. If you haven't noticed Fighters are different from normal people, we do things differently. We use more violence and less love, that's all. That- what you saw- was just a smooth talk between me and my father." He explained intensely but I didn't believe him. "I don't believe that, Kayden. Surely you must feel some love towards your parents, it can't all be so... empty." I said desperately trying to reach out to him. Suddenly he grabbed my chin and made me look at him, and trust me, he could look scary if he wanted to. "Well, it is. So welcome to the real world, sweetheart."