True Royalty

Previously on Dust and Shadows...

I looked at Kayden whose eyes wondered from me to Taylor to our hands. I'll never forget the disappointed look on his face. I wanted to say something, but no words came out. He looked truly hurt, even though he had no right to. I didn't have to explain myself to him, even though I wanted to. He clearly never cared to give an explanation so why should I? None of us said anything and it felt like forever before Kayden slowly exited the room. I looked at Taylor whose expression was unreadable. Soon he found my eyes and he must've saw the hurt, confusion and tiredness in them..

*********

||Taylor's POV||

I woke up the next morning feeling incredibly shit. Julia was immediately on my mind and I got out of bed. First day in The San Fransisco Shelter. I got ready for my morning training.

Firstly, I wanted to see how Julia was doing so I headed towards her room. But as I entered her corridor I bumped into Kayden who was also on his way to her, probably to explain and make up and they'd live happily ever after? Yeah, I don't think so. "You got some nerve." I said hatefully to the little scumbag. I could tell by the way he looked at me that he hated me. I smirked. "Stay the fuck away from her, Taylor." He said as he pushed me into the wall, making my smirk grow wider. "Or what?! Surely she doesn't want to see you, why bother? You're engaged you cretin! Let her go and let her move on in peace, she doesn't need such a douche like you in her life-"Suddenly he hit me against the wall again. "I will beak the engagement! I just need... time, and I need her and I'm not letting such a moron like you be around her-" "And what if you don't manage to break the engagement? Huh? You'll hurt her all over again! You're a real jerk going to her after how you humiliated her yesterday. Now get your selfish ass out of here before I'll kick it."He let me go and I straightened my shirt up. Run little boy, you always do when you see the slightest problems... He looked away and walked down. I smirked as I knew my words got to him.

I knocked on Julia's door and soon she opened up, wearing nothing but a towel. I almost got hard at the sight. "Good morning." I smiled and she smiled shyly back. So cute... "Morning?" She said smiling and I leaned against the door. "Sorry, is this not a good time?" I asked and she immediately shook her head and invited me in. She excused herself as she closed the bathroom door behind her, probably to dress up. I decided to take a stroll around her room. It wasn't really decorated and it didn't suit her. It suited the Julia before the memory loss but I ignored it and waited for her to finish dressing up.

Soon the doors opened again and Julia came out, wearing black leggings and a white, loose shirt with her hair down. I smiled at her. "Should we get breakfast together?" I asked and noticed the bandage around her arm which I helped with yesterday. "Sure." She said and we headed towards the door but before she opened it I stopped her. I grabbed her hand and intertwined our fingers. "I'm glad you're okay." I said and she looked me in the eyes and then at our hands. Then it was like she remembered something and took her hand away before opening the door. I cursed in my mind... She still likes him.

||Julia's POV||

When we sat down by the one of the tables in one of the main dining halls, I immediately saw him and stood still. He sat next to her. But looked at me.

It felt painful to look him in the eyes, knowing what we had, no matter how small it was, was nothing but a lie. He was engaged to her all this time and I was what? His second choice? Side chick?

Suddenly I felt Taylor's hand around my waist- god why is he always so clingy- and slowly pushed me towards the table to sit down, so I did. I got a few smiles from people and tried my best to return them and ignore Kayden's presence as much as possible even though he was across the room.

I only as much as looked at the food in front of me, I didn't take a bite. I looked at Taylor who sat next to me and gave me a smile, I looked down. Suddenly everything quieted down, no talking, noone even chew too laugh. I looked behind me where Mrs Smith was standing, tapping with her pen on her notebook. She met my eyes and shivers went through my body. "Miss Martin, please come with me." She said sternly and everyone's eyes turned to me. Am I in trouble? I slowly stood up and took very nervously awkward steps towards her, feeling everyone's eyes on me. I followed her out and into her office.

"Sit down." She simply said, no please or thank you or kiss my ass. I sat down in her luxuriously comfortable chair and she sat on the other side of the desk. "Miss Martin do you have any idea why you're here?" She asked me, being very bossy. I awkwardly shrugged. "No, Mrs Smith..." I said but it came out more of a question. "You're here, Miss Martin, because it's time. We completely understand your situation and the council has given you a lot of time to recover, but, Miss Martin, everything comes to an end. And you make no progress." I don't quite get the point-"Your tragic accident with your memory loss was terrible, but being a Fighter is a huge risk and you knew that before, well, everything. We have given you months, time for you to get back on track, move on and get back to... normal. But sadly, you make no progress or it's too slow, too little. We might be afraid you're... not only physically but also mentally, not a Fighter anymore." I stood there, not moving a muscle, listening to her every word. "We're very sorry, but Julia Martin, you are suspended from living in The Shelter and killing vampires or going on missions anytime soon, unless it's necessary. Your parents, before they died, they left you enough money for a moment like this, enough to live the rest of your... human life, in luxury."  I swallowed hard and nodded my head in understanding. Who can blame them... I'm only capable of killing vampires if I'm in grave danger, not even talking about protecting people... "Surely, you must understand our decision. We cannot allow someone so... uh..." I looked down. "Useless..." I said quietly and I think I saw a little empathy in her. "Someone with such a disability, to live and train with other Fighters. It's not healthy for the both of you. Julia... I know you a long time, and no matter what happens, I know and I trust, that you'll be alright. Remember, it's not forever. It's only temporary. Your parents left me all this to give to you if everything went to shit one day. I guess it's time I give it to you." She said as she gave me keys, an address on a piece of paper and a credit card with the pin and an USB stick. "I knew your parents, Miss Martin. And they were brave, loyal Fighters. They died for the cause, and to help ensure your safety. There weren't more trustworthy Fighter than them. Be proud, and recover." Then she took something other out from her drawer and gave it to me. A photograph. Two people. A woman, as beautiful as the morning sunset in winter, and a man, stern but soft, wise... I looked closer and Mrs Smith took my hand. "They might not have had royal blood... But they were truly royalty."