Chapter 16: The Ocean

Citlali's POV

"Let's go...erm...this way!" Moon called up front, pointing to a rocky path.

They all looked back at me and I shrugged.

"It's an island. We can't really get lost."

So, I followed, walking with Keith up front. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and dragged me along.

He was muttering a song I faintly recognized as Don't worry baby by the Beach Boys.

I sang along with him and he let out a loud laugh. His laughter amazed me, it was so loud and manic. His shoulders shook and I could feel his chest constrict as I had wrapped an arm around his waist.

Bonzo's POV

The view was marvelous. The city landscape could be seen from the island. I wished that I'd brought a camera along.

"What'd you think?" Citlali said softly beside me. She'd stopped singing with Moon and had slowed down so she could walk with me.

"It's great. Truly. As great as the tour guide." I teased, winking.

We came to a stop. Keith was waving excitedly, motioning for us to come. Citlali's eyes were glinting and she was smiling at us, probably knowing what we were going to see.

The bay had cristalline waters. The sun shone so brightly you could see to the bottom. It was queer because it was part of the lake, but it was so isolated that it was clean.

The sound of crashing waves brought me back to chilhood memories along the seaside. High rocks surrounded the bay, in some way, keeping it safe.

A concrete barrier had been built around it, so as to make the walking path we were on. Keith was sitting on it, letting his feet be showered by the spray of the water.

Citlali's POV

My hands gripped the barrier as I leant forwards. I closed my eyes, inhaling the humid air. It wasn't salty, but it still had that algae smell to it.

"Et, des lors, je me suis baigné dans le poème de la Mer." the voice that had, the day before, given me Cyrano de Bergerac's words voiced beside me.

I remained still, feeling the weight of his gaze on me. Another pair of hands came to rest beside mine.

"Ne retiendra ce coeur qui dans la mer ne trempe." I whispered. Recalling the line of a poem from the same literary movement.

"Mallarmé. " he identified

"Rimbaud." I answered

"Have we been able to have a normal conversation without using French literature?" I said abruptly, not turning to meet his eyes.

"We did speak of Alice, and your hatred for the Lord of the Rings." he countered, pretending to be offended.

"You two will only keep going round and round and round, won't you?" Jimmy suddenly whispered into my right ear. I shivered in surprise.

As I turned to my left, Robert had moved away.

"Catch." Someone, Pete, I think, told me as something was thrown my way and landed in my open hands. A sandwich it seemed.

Jonesy had sat down by the shade and the others had sat around him. They were entranced by the view, eating absentmindedly.

I sat beside him, leaning back on my arms and propping my legs up. Jimmy sat down and began to lean against my legs, using them as the back of chair.

"Comfortable, Jimmy?" I said as I angled my knees slightly so they would dig into his back.

Jimmy let out a small sound in protest but shifted slightly into a more comfortable position.

"Very, thank you for asking." I could almost hear him smile.

"What were these called again?" Bonham was asking me as he showed me a yellow pastry.

"Jamaican patties. " I explained with a quick smile. He winked at me and took a bite.

Jimmy's POV

"Cheers." Pete said, passing me a Jack Daniels bottle. Keith had already taken a swig and he had positioned himself in a way that he could lie down on the edge of the concrete barrier. Always close to danger, it seemed.

"Can't." I said with a wry smile, having learnt what would happen if I took any.

Pete smiled, rather amused and passed the bottle on to Citlali. I heard the sound of the liquor being moved in the bottle and imagined her taking a long swig.

Her hands suddenly came to rest at the nape of my neck, tugging on the hair there. I felt her thread her fingers in my hair and begin to move in a circular fashion. I closed my eyes, leaning my head back.

My mother had used to do that to me when I was smaller and I couldn't sleep.

-----

ñañaña

inspiration's back, i believe.